❊ Chapter eleven: Rescued from the shadows ❊

February 3rd, 2017

Scarlett

I was surprised when I got a text from Ray at almost 9pm. She was asking if she could call me, but if it could be private.

"Scar, you alright?" Colin asked, seeing my face change as I read the message.

Biting my lip, I replied, "Remember me telling you that Ray was the girl who had tried to steal my purse that night?"

"Of course," Colin replied. "You said you thought something was wrong."

I looked at my husband, dread in my stomach and showed him the message.

"Well-" Colin hesitated, thinking of his reply. "Maybe she's just on her period?"

He had a small smirk on his face. This joke made me laugh slightly, but I playfully glared at him, before returning to my original serious state.

"You should call her," Colin advised. "It might be something small, but you don't know until you find out."

I nodded and called her, putting the phone to my ear. After a few seconds of the phone ringing, she picked up.

Ray

I sat in an alleyway shivering, coat wrapped tightly around me. It was warmer and more sheltered than the roof of that antique shop. My phone was gripped in my freezing hand, waiting to see if Scarlett would call me. I heard sirens suddenly, so my head shot up. What if they're here for you? To my immense relief, they passed by. Glancing back down at my phone, I saw that Scarlett was ringing me.

Putting the phone to my ear, I picked up the call.

"Is everything okay?" Scarlett asked.

"I need help," I reluctantly admitted.

"Where are you?"

Her voice sounded more panicked. Shit, I didn't mean to panic her.

"No, no, I'm not hurt," I replied quickly. "I mean, I am, but it's not bad."

"Ray, where are you?"

"Somewhere in New York," I replied vaguely.

I honestly didn't know where I was.

"Near your house?"

"N-not really. I-I kinda walked r-really far," my voice was trembling now. "Scarlett I-I'm scared."

I hated how vulnerable I sounded. 

"Ray, it's gonna be okay. I'm gonna come pick you up, okay?"

"But I don't know where I am!" I replied, my voice reaching a higher note of panic.

I was beginning to hyperventilate due to the panic and fear coursing through my body.

"Ray, Ray, breathe," Scarlett ordered firmly.

"I can't," I gasped, leaning my head against the wall of one of the two tall buildings boxing me into this alleyway.

I was crying now, but I was trying to stop. Dammit, you're so weak! You could just survive by yourself! Fake your own death or something, you don't need people! You've looked after yourself for long enough!

"Yes you can. You have to."

I tried to slow my breathing down with the aid of Scarlett's calm and calming voice from the other side of the phone.

"That's it, you're doing great," the woman soothed. "Now, do you have Google Maps?"

"Yeah," I replied, nodding for no real reason.