chapter 15

the next day, you decide to return to the guild, realizing that your outburst towards master makarov was unwarranted. you take a deep breath, steeling yourself for what might be a difficult conversation.

as you enter the guild, the atmosphere feels tense, and the team still shoot you curious glances. ignoring the whispers, you approach master makarov, who is seated at the bar, studying some paperwork.

"master," you begin, trying to keep your tone respectful, "about yesterday... i'm sorry for my outburst. i didn't mean to question your judgment."

master makarov looks up from his paperwork, his stern expression softening. "apology accepted, y/n. it's not easy for a wizard to return to work after a traumatic experience. i just want what's best for the you."

you nod, grateful for his understanding. "i appreciate that, master. i'll try to be more patient."

as you turn away, you catch glimpses of your teammates watching the exchange.

you decide to address the tension within your team as well. making your way over to the table where natsu, lucy, erza, gray, happy, and peach are sitting, you can feel the weight of the previous day's outburst hanging in the air.

"hey, guys," you say, your tone hesitant. "i, uh, wanted to apologize for my behavior yesterday. it wasn't fair to take out my frustration on all of you."

natsu looks up from his bowl of food, a small smirk playing on his lips. "well, someone finally realized they were out of line."

you shoot him a look, but lucy cuts in, trying to diffuse the tension. "it's okay, y/n. we understand you've been through a lot. just take your time to readjust."

gray adds, "we're a team, y/n. we're here for each other, no matter what."

you nod appreciatively. "i know, and i'm sorry for not realizing that sooner. let's just get back to normal, okay?"

happy chimes in, "aye, aye! normal is good."

peach nods in agreement, her wings fluttering. "everything will be fine, y/n. we're a team, after all."

despite the awkwardness, your team seems willing to forgive and forget. with a small smile, you take a seat at the table.

you sink into the chair, a mixture of gratitude and relief washing over you. your team members exchange glances, and then natsu breaks the silence.

"we talked to gramps," he says, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "convinced him to let you take jobs again."

lucy adds with a smile, "but there's a catch - the whole team has to tag along. He wants us to keep an eye on you."

gray smirks, "guess that means you're stuck with us, y/n."

you can't help but chuckle at their antics, realizing how lucky you are to have such supportive friends. "thanks, guys. I appreciate it. I guess having the whole team around won't be too bad."

erza, who has been quietly observing, nods approvingly. "it's for the best. We'll ensure everyone's safety and make sure you're comfortable easing back into things."

happy adding, "we're a team, and teams stick together."

peach says in agreement, "indeed! together, we'll tackle any challenge."

as the night progresses, exhaustion sets in. gray notices the weariness in your eyes and offers, "hey, y/n, need someone to walk you back home?"

you manage a small nod, appreciating his concern. "thanks, gray. i could use the company."

the two of you navigate the familiar streets of magnolia, the night air cool against your skin. gray glances over, "you've been through a lot lately. how are you holding up?"

you shrug, "trying to take it one step at a time. having the team around helps."

gray nods in understanding, "you don't have to face everything alone, you know. we're here for you."

a small smile tugs at your lips. "i know. and i appreciate it, gray."

the quiet stroll continues, and gray occasionally makes subtle comments that make you raise an eyebrow. "you know, y/n, the night feels calm. it's almost soothing, like you."

you offer a small smile, appreciating the sentiment. "thanks, gray."

gray's tone turns more serious. "on a serious note, y/n, if you ever need someone to lean on, i'm here. we all are."

you appreciate his sincerity, recognizing the genuine concern in his voice. "thanks, gray. i'll keep that in mind."

gray hesitates, then mumbles, "it's just... you mean a lot to me."

you tilt your head, genuinely oblivious. "you too, gray. we're a team, after all."

gray clears his throat, his words slightly more hesitant. "i mean, beyond just being a teammate, y'know? you mean a lot to me... personally."

you glance at him, a mischievous twinkle in your eye. "aw, gray, are you getting sentimental on me? don't tell me you're developing a soft side."

he chuckles nervously, scratching the back of his head. "uh, well, maybe a little. you know, just... thinking out loud."

you grin teasingly, nudging him with your elbow. "well, don't worry, gray. your secret's safe with me."

you remain oblivious, thinking he's referring to the tight-knit bond of friendship. "well, i'm grateful for that, gray. it means a lot to have such strong connections within the team."

gray sighs internally, realizing you've completely missed his attempt at expressing deeper feelings. "yeah, strong connections."

with a final nod, you bid him goodnight, leaving gray to grapple with his unspoken emotions as you retreat into your home.