ch.1 - paris, here we come

Wave's POV

I stand in the middle of my cluttered bedroom, surrounded by piles of clothes and boxes. I can hardly believe that this is really happening. I'm moving to Paris, and I am both excited and terrified at the same time.

My parents had dropped the bombshell on me just a few weeks ago, announcing that my dad had gotten a promotion and we would be relocating to France. At first, I was devastated. I had lived in this big town my whole life and I couldn't imagine leaving behind everything I had known.

But as the reality of the move sunk in, I started to feel a flutter of excitement in my stomach. Paris, the city of love and lights, with its beautiful architecture, delicious food, and rich culture. It was a dream come true. I've always dreamt of visiting that place since I was a little girl, and finding out that it's actually happening in reality is somewhat horrifying.

Yet, as I pack up my belongings, sorting through things to keep and things to donate, the butterflies in my stomach turn into a knot. I'm leaving everything behind - my comfortable routine, my familiar surroundings, and the people I care about.

As I fold my favorite dresses and tuck them into a suitcase, I can't help but feel a twinge of sadness. These clothes have been with me through so many memories, and now they are coming with me to a new country. Will they fit in? Will I fit in?

I walk over to my bookshelf and run my fingers over the spines of my favorite novels (most of them being romance). My escape from reality, my source of comfort. They will definitely be coming with me. And if you are wondering, yes, I am a bookworm. Mainly for love novels.

As I continue to pack, my pet cat, Paris, jumps onto my lap and starts purring. I scratch behind his ears and smile. He's been my best friend for as long as I can remember. My mom always jokes that I love him more than my own siblings. Well, it's true. He's always been there for me, especially during tough times like this.

However, my thoughts were suddenly interrupted by the sound of my mother's voice calling from downstairs. "Honey, it's time to go! Your father and brothers are waiting downstairs."

I let out a sigh and grab my last few items and stuff them into the boxes, trying to hold back tears. This is it. The start of a new chapter in my life. And as an overly sensitive person, I don't think I can handle this new change of pathway. At least not right now.

As I finish packing up my room, I take one last look around, trying to etch every detail into my memory. This room has been my safe haven, my personal sanctuary. I will miss it dearly.

With a sigh, I zip up my suitcases and head downstairs to join my family. We still have a long journey ahead of us, but I know that this is just the beginning of an exciting new adventure. And who knows, maybe Paris won't be as bad. Maybe it'll become my new preferred home.

I sat in the back of my parents' boring old SUV, sitting alongside my two older brothers, August and Tyler. I couldn't help but feel a pang of sadness. We were driving through the streets of Beverly Hills, my beautiful home that I was going to leave behind. My heart ached at the thought of saying goodbye to everything I loved.

I glanced over at my brothers, both of them completely engrossed in their phones. Typical. I rolled my eyes and turned my attention back to the window, gazing out at the familiar sights of palm trees and luxurious houses.

I let out a heavy sigh, causing my brothers to finally tear their eyes away from their screens to look at me. They both have the same concerned look on their faces, knowing that I'm not thrilled about our move.

"Cheer up, Wavey," August says, providing me the little nickname he would always use since we were kids. "It's not the end of the world."

Easy for him to say. He's a freshman in college who was able to finish out the year with all of his friends. Meanwhile, I'm starting at a new school in a few couple of months. My SENIOR year. It's not fair. I HATE being a new student even if this will be my first time.

Tyler, on the other hand, simply rolls his eyes and goes back to scrolling through his phone. Typical older brother behavior. He's a senior and similarly towards August, he gets to finish out the year with his friends. But at least he's not leaving behind his entire social circle like I am. I'm going to have to start all over again, and that terrifies me.

As we approach the freeway, amidst bustling traffic, I take a final look outside the window at the famous sights of Beverly Hills. I then grab my phone and snap a photo of the city from my perspective in the car. After a brief glance at the picture that lasted 3 seconds, I decide to share it on Instagram, because why not?

 After a brief glance at the picture that lasted 3 seconds, I decide to share it on Instagram, because why not?

@waverlymourine:
"Leaving this glamorous city
behind, my heart feels heavy 💔"

I turn off my phone and continued to gaze out the window once the traffic had passed. "Goodbye, home." I whisper to myself, trying to hold back the sadness compelled upon my eyes. It's time to say hello to a new chapter of my life, whether I like it or not.