ch.16 - slumber's interlude

Wave's POV:

As I lay on my bed, idly scrolling through my social media with my free hand gently stroking Paris' sleeping form, my phone buzzed. A text from Marinette lit up on my screen, her words filled with concern.

Mari <3:

Hey, are you feeling okay?
The attack must've frightened you.

Me:

Yeah, I'm okay!
It just caught me off guard, that's all.

Mari <3:

I'm so sorry, Wave..

Me:

No worries, Mari! It's okay!
At least Ladybug and Chat Noir
saved the day again.

Mari <3:

Yeah, you're right. Still though, I wish I could have been there to help you. Anyways, I have to get some rest now. See you tomorrow morning at school, Wavey. Sleep well! ❤️

Me:

Sleep well, M. 💗

Just as I was about to set my phone down to charge, a knock echoed through my own room. August poked his head in.

"Hey, Tyler and I are going out for a bit," he explained. "Let me know if you need anything, okay?"

I nodded in response. "Okay.. be safe. Love you both!"

August closed the door behind him as I sighed, placing my phone on the nightstand. I looked down at my sleeping cat and smiled, feeling a sense of peace wash over me.

As slumber enveloped me, a gentle tapping against the windowpanes stirred me. With a groan of annoyance, I shifted beneath the covers, nuzzling against the soft pillows. "Paris," I mumbled, "your litter box is clean. It's too late to go outside."

Yet, the tapping persisted. As I wearily lifted my head from the pillows, I realized Paris was sound asleep besides me, his soft purrs filling the air. Rubbing my groggy eyes, I turned towards my window. My heart skipped a beat as I caught sight of Chat Noir's familiar form, waving at me through the glass.

A soft blush appeared across my cheeks as I quickly released the window latch. "Chat," I whispered, "what are you doing here?"

He gave a sheepish chuckle, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck. "Sorry to intrude.. I couldn't really sleep, and I just had to see you. Can I come in?"

At first, I hesitated, but after a few more minutes, I stepped aside and allowed him to. As Chat crossed the threshold, our eyes met. An unspoken connection sizzled between us, sending shivers down my spine.

"Thanks," he whispered. God, his voice..

I couldn't help but smile, a warmth spreading throughout my being. "So.. how are you?"

He shrugged. "Well.. to be honest, it hasn't been easy. Things have been pretty chaotic, if I must admit."

Curiosity and concern flitted across my face. "I don't mean to pry... but what is it that's troubling you?"

He sighed, his voice laced with a vulnerability I have never heard before. "Boundaries, Wave. I've been trying to set some, with this whole civilian and superhero balancing act. Too many responsibilities, too many expectations. It's exhausting..."

I listened intently, nodding as I took his words. When he finished, I reached out and gently placed my hand on his shoulder. His ears twitched and perked up, his eyes glancing down to meet mine.

Under the soft moonlight, I could see a hint of warmth and gratitude in his emerald depths. "I know that I may not have the perfect words in order to help what you're going through, and not experience what you're dealing with, but know that I'm here for you, Chat. You got this." I responded.

A small smile tugged at his lips. "Thank you, Wave. I really needed to hear that."

A beat of silence hung between us, the only sound the steady ticking of my bedside clock. Suddenly, he leaned closer, his face mere inches from mine. His breath hitched as he whispered, "Although... I can't deny that you seem to be the only one who is able to push those problems away. You're different, Wave... in a good way."

My eyes widened as I realized how perilously close we were. My cheeks flushed, but I couldn't pull myself away. There was something about the intensity in his gaze that drew me in, making my heart beat erratically.

"You have a way of seeing into my soul, my lady," he continued, his voice barely audible. "You make me forget about the chaos, the expectations. With you. I feel.. I don't know—different."

I stared at him, my own heart pounding in my chest. Never had I ever felt so drawn to someone before. "Chat Noir..." I faintly squeaked, our eyes still locked as our lips were only millimeters away from each other.

As his face drew infinitesimally close, a light chuckle escaped Chat Noir's lips. "But I highly doubt you feel the same unless... you do?"

I could only stare, an obstinate silence sealing my lips. This enigmatic feline.. who had captured my heart since these last few weeks, was now within kissing distance. It was an audacious move, one that sent a surge of exhilarating anticipation coursing through my veins.

Before I could gather my thoughts, he leaned in again, his eyes twinkling with a mischievous grin. "You have no idea," I whispered, my voice as soft as the moonlight filtering through my bedroom window.

A triumphant grin spread across his face as his gloved claws softly tugged the bed sheets.

"I suppose we should find out, shouldn't we, princess?"