four. are we free?

CHAPTER FOUR                            are we free?                    ________________

                      CHAPTER FOUR
                            are we free?
                    ________________

"we know what you're capable of ms wright. it's quite impressive but you actively support jace carson who confessed to assault.we don't know if that's what we would want at our school." brooke sighed hearing them same words once again.

"coach reed i understand where you're coming from but what does that have to do with my basketball career?" brooke questioned.

this was her fourth meeting with a college recruiter.all the ones she's tried so far rejecting her due to her being associated with jace, even worse because she is his girlfriend.

"unless you cut off all contact with jace carson we're not able to accept you." brooke shook her head.

"im not cutting contact with my boyfriend for a college.i have other scholarship choices you guys aren't my only choice." brooke declared.

she didn't technically lie she did have other choices for colleges.some not being as great as berkely.brooke had been denied from princeton, university of florida and even standford now being denied to be able to go to berkeley.

"from what we hear you've been denied from three other schools.no school wants a troubled girl who is associated with criminals.we're probably going to be the only school you have a chance with." coach reed pointed out.

"no disrespect coach but i still have numerous scholarships not even just for basketball. i think you seem to forget im top of my class.any school would be happy for me to go to them.without even thinking about the so called criminals i am associated with." brooke corrected.

coach reed scoffed before checking her phone."well brooklyn i think you seem to forget there's better players than you around the world.have a nice day." coach reed replied exiting the house.

___________

"well ms wright we would be honored to have you at ucla." brooke smiled.

"but?" brooke questioned.she knew they was going to be a but somewhere in the sentence.this was now the sixth meeting with a recruiter she had.being denied five times by five different schools made her realize coach reed was right.

"we learned about the jace carson situation.and we know you're deeply involved considering your friend crystal was assaulted by coach warrick and your boyfriend jace carson was apart of the attack along with more associates of yours.we just want to be sure this isn't going to distract you from your studies." brooke nodded her head.

"i can assure you this situation won't affect my grades or how i play in the game."

"well than ucla would be honored to have you with us.we'll speak soon." brooke watched as the coach exited the door.

waiting till coach was no longer in sight brooke jumped and down in celebration.happy that she finally wasn't denied a chance to play basketball from a college.

                          ___________

"so how's planning for the wedding?" brooke questioned.talia had arrived home due to her hearing news about jace's involvement in the coach warrick case.

she found the quickest flight she was able to afford and flew home as quickly as she could.well at least that's what she thought , she was a few days late to the news.

"the weddings off.hayden cheated on me with a escort." brooke winced hearing the news.she couldn't believe that hayden would cheat on talia.

"are you being serious?" brooke asked seeing talia crack a smile.

"duh, you know dad and kareem would've killed him by now.wedding planning is great brooke. hayden let me take control of everything so i can have the wedding of my dreams." brooke nodded her head in agreement.

"speaking of the wedding, me and hayden came up with a idea." talia announced gaining brooke's full attention.

"i want you to be my maid of honor and since hayden has no siblings he wants kareem to be his best man." brooke opened her mouth, gasping at what talia just said.

"you want me? me to be your maid of honor?" brooke exclaimed.talia nodded her head laughing.

"don't make me change my mind." talia joked.

"but how is jace handling everything? you know all of it happened after his birthday so he didn't have much time to celebrate." talia mentioned.

brooke sighed not knowing what to tell her sister."he's handling everything differently that most would." talia nodded her head showing her sister she understood.

"how are you handling things?" talia could sense how tense her sister was when mentioned the whole situation.

"i mean there's nothing to handle.nothing happened to me nor did i do anything.the most i could do is just support jace."

"while you're supporting jace who's supporting you?" brooke stared at her sister.she didn't know the answer to that, lately she wasn't focused on herself instead she was focused on jace and what would happen to him.

____________

brooke stood in the gym playing basketball.
despite it being 8 pm she had convinced the janitor and athletic director mr price to let her stay.she wouldn't admit it but she knew coach reed was correct.

there were better players in the world so she needed to step up her game.if she practiced harder and did better they wouldn't care about her involvement with jace.

brooke groaned seeing she had missed the 3 point shot.the sound of claps gaining her attention causing her to turn around only to see one of her classmates nova hansen."snap your wrist forward it helps." nova instructed.

brooke looked at the girl before following nova's instructions."thank you." brooke smiled seeing that the shot made in.nova smiled at the girl walking closer to brooke.

"you didn't need me to tell you that, from what i seen you're a good player.its just your teammates who suck." nova said grabbing a basketball from the rack.

brooke watched as nova walked to the three point line throwing the basketball into the hoop when she made it."why didn't you sign up for girls basketball?" brooke had never been so impressed from what a player could do.

"once again your teammates suck." nova laughed.

"you still could've signed up." brooke rolled her eyes.

"and have people who can't even play get credit?" nova replied.

brooke shook her head not knowing what to say.
the two girls continued in silence the only things you could hear was the basketballs dribbling.