Bluff

Summary: When Lydia has to stay with the Stilinski's for safety reasons, Stiles and Lydia soon realise it's not so easy being under the same roof, especially when their shower schedules conflict.

For the prompt: "Person A is planning to take a shower but Person B steals it from them at the last second. Person A threatens to join them if Person B doesn't give up the shower. Person B thinks they're bluffing. It turns out that they're not."

xxx

There's another supernatural threat in town. What's new, right? It's only been deadly on occasion, unheeded for the most part, but the thing is that this time it ended up threatening Lydia's mom and the pack had no choice but to let the woman in on the supernatural. If it had been weird telling the Sheriff about it, Natalie didn't fare much better. She kept looking at her daughter like she was some sort of alien, like the girl had lost her mind and everything the pack was telling her was a plain joke. It took an entire night of Lydia explaining everything to her mom until exhaustion hit them. She had had to see the werewolves turning right in front of her eyes, and even then she wasn't entirely convinced. The next morning, when she had finally come to terms with what was now her new reality, Natalie decided to take a vacation, a few weeks off from all the madness. Lydia understood.

The Sheriff invited Lydia to stay with them. She could have just stayed alone in her own house while her mom was out of town; it's not like it would be the first time. Still, staying at the Stilinski's would not only be safer for her but she would also have company. And Stiles' dad might have had something up his sleeve – and he can't be blamed really. It was just a matter of time, anyway. Stiles has been single for months now. He and the werecoyote broke it off during the summer and everyone assumed that Stiles and Lydia would get together then, but to everyone's exasperation they didn't. They grew closer, they did, but they seemed to need a little push so the Sheriff invited the girl to stay over.

The first week went by just fine. They rode together to and from school and ended up studying in one of the rooms until late every night. They divided their chores, spent some of their free time together watching TV or playing videogames. Once Lydia even fell asleep on his bed after a banshee episode that had left her worn out and Stiles didn't have it in his heart to move her. The second week, however, proved more challenging. It was only a matter of time until they started bickering. At first it was playful; later on, not so innocent. Lydia started making mean comments about the Jeep – mostly because she knew it would get on Stiles' nerves and yes, like the Sheriff, she was pushing Stiles to do something about their friendship because this whole situation was getting her very, very frustrated -, Stiles started getting irritated about all the time Lydia would take to get ready for school every day. Lydia stated often that he should have his bedroom more clean and Stiles started getting mad at her because twice she ended his cereal and the poor boy was left starving – yes, he's dramatic, whatever.

The Sheriff didn't mind it one bit. In fact, he had stayed seated longer than usual over a meal several times already just to see their banter while he sipped on his coffee. The real challenge for him was to not let it show on his features because it was like he was watching a romantic comedy, mainly the part where the protagonists seem to hate each other, and boy does he like romantic comedies. For Stiles and Lydia it stopped being fun after a few days and Lydia didn't really know what to do about it. She'd tried – okay, maybe not too bluntly – to show him that she cares about him, that she likes him, maybe more, but Stiles always seemed to get out of the conversation before saying something back, before actually doing something about it and that was making Lydia nervous because maybe she missed her chance with him and it saddened her. Stiles, on the other hand, didn't want to screw it up so he would just let her be. For Stiles, friendship is more than enough.