Say what you mean

For the prompt from stydia-fanfiction: "This is kinda specific haha but lydia and stiles baking like a cake for allison (denial) but started while fighting and then they start angrily making out and allison walks in?? idek but thanks love."

This was written before we knew who the beast was, but regardless it's wishful thinking.

Summary: Turns out bantering over baking can have its perks.

xxxxxxxxxx

"Can't you do anything right?" Lydia murmurs, huffing in frustration and bumping into Stiles purposefully until he steps aside and lets her take control of the situation.

"It was an honest mistake, alright?" he spats, breaking the eggs to a separate bowl from the one where he mistakenly confused the measures of flour and sugar, and now it's hopeless and they have to start the cake from scratch again.

Lydia continues rambling, occupying herself with cleaning up after Stiles' mess and getting the measures of all ingredients right. "How are we ever gonna get this cake done in time?" she mutters to herself. "We barely even started and we're already delayed..."

Stiles hisses just to get on her nerves, because she's getting on his nerves and has been for the last few months, and honestly he's had enough.

He doesn't even know what happened.

Or well, a lot of things happened.

For one, there was an upside to having the Dread Doctors around. Turns out the beast was Allison all along, or at least it was using Allison's body to have a corporeal form, and once the battle was won and using the elixir that the pack had stolen from the Dread Doctors, they were able to revive Allison.

Sure, the whole thing was a shock and for an entire day no one really believed Allison was there, not even her father, but when things settled everything fell back into place so that's that.

On the other hand, Stiles never got back together with Malia and it's been months since then. And it's been longer than that since Lydia has been single and he just can't grasp why they're in this... Whatever it is that they're in.

Because whereas Stiles and Lydia grew closer, things never really moved on from there. And why, Stiles can't really tell. What he can tell though, and from experience, is that too many feelings bottled up will have to come out eventually, and with him and Lydia – rather unfortunately but not necessarily unexpectedly, he has to admit – it's been catastrophic. They banter and bicker more than usual, sometimes turning into full on shouting matches because they're frustrated.

And he wishes he knew what to do to make it better.

"I could have gotten it right easily," he mutters. Stiles doesn't tell her that the reason why he mixed up the measures is because she's wearing a low cut shirt that leaves little to the imagination, and all the frustration he's been feeling lately can lead to a certain kind of tension he'd rather not dwell on right now. "But well, next time you do it since you're so good at everything," Stiles mumbles, adding the oil to the eggs along with the sour cream and a smidge of vanilla before pouring everything into the mixer and setting the speed to low.

"You could, but if you were to try once more you'd probably mess it up again. The difference between you and I is that when I say I can handle something, I actually deliver," she says flatly, turning on the oven and tilting her head, sending Stiles a knowing look because he's the one who forgot to turn it on to preheat.

He turns away from her to focus on tapping his fingers on the counter instead, in a matter of relieving some of the stress as he distractedly checks on the mixer. Why the hell did they agree on baking a cake together for Allison's birthday when they both absolutely loathe baking and cooking in general? "You know what? Screw you," he throws over his shoulder, taking a deep breath because he's a stupid ass and he's regretting saying it already. He grabs a spoon to check the consistency and to pretend he doesn't already know the tone of her next words by heart.