An unexpected Christmas

Summary: Stiles and Lydia spend their first Christmas together when a misfortune doesn't allow them go home for the holidays. It ends up being just what they needed.

Author's Note: Hey guys. I've been sick these last few days, was even hospitalized and everything so my updates are delayed. I have quite a few chapters to post in the next few days and I'll post one a day if I can since I can't strain myself too much yet. We'll see how this goes.

There will be a one-shot coming up either this week or the next that's a continuation of this fic, alluding to the first 10 Christmases that Stiles and Lydia spend together as a couple, and this is the story of their first one (it's been slightly edited compared to the one posted on stydiasecretsanta on tumblr).

This fic was written for Stydia Secret Santa on tumblr, for Erica, thegirlwhorunswithwolves. I loved writing this and I hope you like it.

xxxxxxxxxx

"No." Lydia shakes her head and mutters repeatedly as if Stiles can already hear her, which he can't. He's making his way towards her but is still a few feet away, trying his very best to not bump into everyone on the way. The airport is completely crowed. "No, no, no, no-"

He meets her quickly though, sadness all over his features. "I'm sorry, Lyds. Looks like we're not going anywhere."

Lydia curses under her breath, curses the weather and the heavens above because they had been so excited about this and now everything is ruined. She almost gives in to tears and she couldn't care less if she does. She's allowed to.

It's their first year at college and she and Stiles are studying across the country and were supposed to go back home for Christmas, but the weather had other plans for them. A storm hit town and so, still clinging to a little bit of hope (even if they knew it was most likely a wasted trip), they rushed to the airport to see if they could embark on their flight anyway.

As expected, not a single plane is taking off.

It's Christmas Eve day and Stiles and Lydia won't get to be with their family and friends for the winter holidays this year.

Stiles doesn't hesitate in wrapping his arms around her and Lydia lets him, welcoming the comfort he always provides, a comfort that she's more than familiar with by now. "I'm sorry. I know you really wanted to go home."

Lydia wipes away a tear from the corner of her eye, not minding that Stiles is paying attention to her.

(When is he not, anyway?)

"It's okay. You wanted to go home too."

"Yeah, this sucks."

Stiles only realizes that he's still holding her after a few seconds, when Lydia seems to realize it as well and blushes at the proximity. He lets go almost reluctantly.

(It's been happening more and more often lately but he can't help it.

In truth, neither can she.

And it's not like they want to, anyway.)

"So uh-" it's the only thing she lets out, pursing her lips and tucking her hair behind her ears, adjusting her beanie distractedly after that.

Stiles rubs the back of his neck. "We... We should get going. The sooner we get out of here, the better. They told me that the storm is gonna get worse and there won't be any flights until at least noon tomorrow. We were just gonna go for the extended weekend so it doesn't make sense for us to go back to California anymore, I think." Lydia nods, looking down and biting on her lip sadly. "I don't want to spend Christmas at the airport."