Not falling short of love

Summary: Lydia starts wearing flats and Stiles teases her about it.

xxx

Stiles shouldn't be smiling, just like he shouldn't be holding her gaze. And he also shouldn't be checking her out when his ex-girlfriend - still girlfriend as far as their friends know because the breakup is very recent, like a week recent and Stiles hasn't told anyone yet - is only three feet away from him. But he's smiling and he's definitely not looking away. And even if Malia is right there, he doesn't care. Because Lydia is looking right at him, studying his features with a curious expression of her own and he likes it. And he wants more of it.

He hasn't looked at her properly in a while. At least not until very recently, when she started catching his eye again and now that she's looking back at him... Well, he's not gonna stop. Because even if they are a good ten feet away from each other right now, he can clearly see Lydia's cheeks turning rosy and that she's biting her lower lip looking at him with the same intent he's looking at her. Stiles feels heat rush up to his cheeks but it doesn't faze him, only makes him smile wider.

Lydia is aware that they're not supposed to be doing this, not right now when they're surrounded by friends, definitely not when Stiles has a girlfriend that's not Lydia. But like Stiles, she doesn't care because truth be told, Stiles looks good, too good for her not to pretend that she doesn't care anymore. And he's looking back at her with that spark in his eyes that she hadn't seen in months, the one she knows it's just for her, so Lydia takes a small step back, hiding a little more behind Kira so that she can enjoy his attention freely, so that the group doesn't notice her interaction with Stiles. If he's not backing out, she isn't either. Stiles does the same thing, a mirroring step taken behind a boy from his class.

It's a Friday afternoon and Scott, Kira, Stiles, Lydia and Malia are just outside of school discussing plans for the weekend with some of their classmates because it's senior year and nostalgia has been hitting everyone lately so they want to do things together, but Stiles and Lydia have been oblivious to most of the discussion for a while now, mostly standing outside of the circle the others are in. Everyone else seems engrossed in their own conversations so no one seems to notice Stiles and Lydia's slight distancing from them; both Stiles and Lydia grin. Lydia crosses her arms at her chest, defying him, patiently waiting for whatever he seems to be doing with a playful smile on her lips. Stiles, on his part, makes sure to take notice of everything he can because something seems off about Lydia today and that's what caught his attention, even if he's not quite sure what it is yet, his investigative instincts surfacing with a grimace.

Her hair is immaculate as always, long locks of strawberry blonde hair dancing close to her waist. Her makeup is perfect, just the way he likes it; simple, extolling her natural beauty. She's wearing a red dress today that, like many others, shows a little bit of her cleavage; not too much but just enough to have his mind wandering, much like the hem of its skirt, brushing her thighs at the passing of the soft wind. Her manicured fingers are blissfully tapping on her arms drawing attention to them, but Stiles doesn't pause. His quest is also not deterred when someone - he's not even sure who - asks him something and he just nods, not paying attention to what's happening outside of their sacred bubble.

When the conversation continues between the rest of the group and the spotlight isn't on him anymore, Stiles continues his exploration of Lydia. Happily, he should add, because Lydia's legs are for sure a highlight on his dreams where he takes the longest time just admiring them, getting to know every inch of skin she has to offer. Much to his dismay, he doesn't take long staring at them this time; better not get a boner at the moment, should be fun for him trying to explain that! Lowering his gaze from her legs to her feet he finds it, the thing that's wrong with her. Well, not wrong because she's still Lydia, his Lydia, only a little different and Stiles has to admit that he never thought he'd see the day.