Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I didn't dream, and woke to knocking on my door which was weird since my parents don't usually wake me up. I managed to roll over to check the time, having to push my black shaggy hair out of the way in order to try and read the clock. I squinted to focus my sight only to be met with nothing from my clock. It must have died on me last night.

"Jason, may I come in, are you decent?" my mother's voice asked from the other side of the door.

"No I'm not, I need a few minutes." I told her. I heard her walk away from the door and head down stairs. I slowly got out of my bed, my body was feeling heavy but at the same time I felt like I had the energy to run a marathon. I stumbled around my room trying to find clean clothes that would compliment my looks. I pay attention to how I look most of the time, or more like when I feel it really matters. I managed to find a navy blue T-shirt that said "Mixedworld Forever" right across the front of it. Sadly, it was the only decent clean shirt I had, at least it went well with the khaki cargo shorts I found. Lathering myself up in sunblock was a must to stop my pale skin from burning in the sun. I added the final touch which was my glasses and sighed when I looked in the mirror disappointed that I couldn't find anything to complement my lankiness. I looked like a cross between a skeleton and a vampire. Looking in the mirror some more I noticed something wasn't right. Another knock on my door broke my train of thought. Grabbing my phone off the charger I checked the time hoping that I didn't sleep till past noon. I smiled in relief when my phone flashed that it was 11:05. Mom knocked again; I had completely forgotten she was outside my door.

"Jason I'm coming in, be decent." I heard the click of my bedroom door as my mom opened it slowly as if she was preparing herself for an unpleasant sight.

"Good, you're dressed I -" she stopped speaking. Her eyes widened and her mouth formed an O shape. I watched her eyes move around the room until they finally fell on me. Her face displayed a mix of emotions from happy to worried and everything in between. I looked around to see what she was looking at, lines of silver and dark blue swirled around the walls of my room and my ceiling, when did this happen? I was completely taken aback by what I saw. How could I have missed this when I was getting ready, then again I didn't have my glasses on so I couldn't really see that much to begin with.

"Mom, would you believe me if I told you I didn't do it?" I looked at her with pleading eyes. She remained silent, slowly walking around my room. Her fingers traced the swirls along my walls.

"I'm sorry mom, I don't know how it happened. I was asleep until you came to check on me, I didn't even notice the swirls until just now." I had to admit I was a little freaked out by the whole thing. My mom stayed silent as if debating if I was telling the truth or not. While mom was still debating, I was running out of time to meet up with Terry. At this point, though, I would be lucky if I didn't end up grounded for the rest of my life.

"I know now is not the time to mention this, but this girl asked me to hang out with her today. Her name is Terry Ashland," my mother's blue eyes lit up with recognition as if had been in sleep mode. "She is a very popular girl in school and I kind of don't want to screw up my first chance of hanging out with a girl." I shifted a bit on my feet ready for my mom to yell at me about choosing fun over responsibility. I was shocked to see that my mom smiled instead.

"Oh, I know who Terry is."

"You do?" I stared at her.

"Her mother and I are old school friends, every once in a while we catch up." She sat down on my bed. "Evelyn Ashland and I were enemies for a while until something happened, then we became friends. In those days your father, myself, your uncle George and aunt Ann would hang out all the time and go on all sorts of adventures. The time to have your own adventures starts," She paused as if suddenly realizing something. "What time are you meeting Terry?"