33: Xenia/Romano.

Xenia Butler

With Basil's number now finally blocked, I shifted my focus back to my work, determined to pick up where I left off before the investor's rude interruption.

Leaving the hotel behind, I also left behind any notion of using Basil to provoke a reaction from Romano. The brief thrill of toying with him had lost its appeal, and I no longer saw the point in indulging his attempts to engage with me. After all, he was thousands of miles away in the US, and our interactions felt increasingly hollow and meaningless. Laughing at his jokes or divulging personal details about myself seemed like a pointless charade now.

As I typed my response to Vera Lenci's email about Snapping Point, a sudden shout pierced through the air: "You know I wouldn't give it to you. You've managed three days without it, so push harder!"

Quickly setting my phone aside, I bolted from my seat and dashed to the other window to see what was happening.

A knot of apprehension twisted in my stomach as I observed Romano and Kate standing uncomfortably close, engaged in what appeared to be a heated discussion.

With tension gripping my gut, I continued to watch them. Romano's hand rested on her in a manner that felt all too familiar to me. I strained to hear their conversation, pushing the window open slightly.

I couldn't tear my eyes away. Romano's touch seemed possessive, as if he knew her body intimately. But then again, didn't he?

My heart sank as I noticed tears welling up in her eyes. She appeared visibly distressed, nervously scratching her hair. A sinking feeling settled in the pit of my stomach as I considered the possibility that their argument might be related to what Romano and I had done the previous night.

Had she overheard something and now found herself upset enough to confront it?

"It wasn't until last night that I started feeling this way. It's getting worse," she coughed out and eyed Romano pleadingly. "I'm begging you..." Her posture seemed to collapse, as if she were a marionette bowing before him. "You're going to kill me."

I gasped. My hand flew to cover my mouth. What was I hearing? What had happened between them last night? Was it her feelings for him getting worse? The jealousy she had been struggling to deny? And why did Romano stand so rigidly over her, like her pleas were something he had heard or seen before? He didn't even flinch at her display of vulnerability, and that realization made me deeply uneasy.

Who was this man, really?

The words "You're going to kill me" echoed in my mind. Kill her? The taste of bile rose in my throat, my eyes widening in shock. I wanted to rush down there to get the full story, but I was glued to the unfolding scene from my vantage point.

With ease, Romano lifted her up, though she seemed to struggle to remain still, likely due to her distress or pain. As he steadied her, she trembled, seemingly overwhelmed by Romano's firm and authoritative handling.

Then, to add insult to injury, they kissed passionately for several seconds before Katie pulled away, her gaze filled with longing as she uttered, "I'm sorry." Romano, perhaps softened by her apology, lifted her chin to meet his gaze. My God, I felt myself breaking out in a sweat. Anger and disgust bubbled up inside me, threatening to overflow.