34: Xenia/Romano.

Xenia Butler

"Santal, Plasmon or Skipper?" I asked Jonny with a playful grin, gesturing at the trio of juice boxes arranged before us. The boy's gaze flitted between them, still as indecisive as a squirrel unsure which tree to scamper up for his next nutty adventure.

Across the pool, Renata observed him with a knowing smile, allowing Jonny the freedom to make his own decision, even as he urged her to choose for him. It was like a gentle nudge for her son to exercise his autonomy. Good teaching, I thought.

"What about this, mamma?" Jonny asked his mother, but his eyes were on me.

Renata and I both cracked a laugh.

"No, Jonny." I pulled the bottle of vodka and glass away from his reach. "That's not part of your options." That was my own option.

As Jonny deliberated again, I swam leisurely from one end of the rectangular pool to the other, the cool water providing a refreshing time out from the warm afternoon sun. With each stroke, I closed the distance between us, ready to offer guidance if needed.

"Now, let's give it another shot," I suggested cheerfully as I reached Jonny's side, nudging the juice boxes toward him with a playful flick of my hand. "Plasmon! Skipper! Santal!"

Closing his eyes after a face-palm, his childlike chuckle broke loose. He shook his head in mock disbelief, before extending his hand to select one almost at random. Fortunately, his fingertips landed on Skipper. Renata and I erupted into cheers, applauding his choice as I swiftly removed the other two options, leaving Skipper to stand victorious.

"Good choice!" I exclaimed, a genuine smile on my face as I encouraged him to enjoy his drink. "That's what I would have chosen myself."

With a nod and a grin, he eagerly took a sip, the taste of Skipper undoubtedly refreshing. Orange flavor over any other thing, of course.

Turning away from Jonny, I directed my attention toward the kitchen door. A fleeting moment passed before my thoughts were consumed by the image of Romano and Kate, their presence lingering like an unwelcome ghost from earlier in the day.

In a bid to banish the memory and any lingering thoughts of their rashness in his room before departing the house over an hour ago, I fully immersed myself in the water. It was both a self-imposed punishment for my perceived weaknesses and a personal challenge to test my endurance.

The water enveloped me comfortably, momentarily blocking out the noise and distractions of the world above. With each passing second, however, as my heart rate accelerated, pounding forcefully, I knew I had to resurface to catch my breath.

Emerging from the water with a flourish, I sucked in a deep breath, my chest heaving as I tried to regulate my breathing. Droplets of water glided down my skin, bringing a sense of calmness. My hair clung to my scalp, forming a damp curtain around my face.

Renata had abandoned swimming, and I couldn't blame her. We had been submerged for nearly an hour, and our bodies were starting to prune. Frankly, I preferred the discomfort of wrinkled skin to confronting the unsettling reality of Romano and Kate's whereabouts after being locked in his room for a while.

Perhaps his room was too common a place to fuck, so he had taken her somewhere more unorthodox. Who knew?

"Done with your drink, sweetheart?"