Part 3

She slumps down in front of the door and lays her head in her hands, sobbing quietly into them. "Honey what's wrong?" Her mom rushes over to her daughter and sits beside her, running her hand up and down her back. "It's-its Thomas," she stammers out as she lifts her head from her hands. "I'm so sorry sweetie. I know how much you liked that boy," her mother whispers. Just hearing those words coming from her mouth made her pain ten times worse. "Can you just drive me to school?" She asks changing the subject. "What happened to your car?" The woman asks standing up. "It won't start, I don't know." "Okay, get yourself cleaned up, then I'll write a note for the principal telling him we overslept. Just hurry." The girl wipes under her eyes and the remaining tears on her cheeks, then fixes her makeup in the bathroom mirror. She's a mess, foundation splotched everywhere and mascara running down her face. She collects her books and exits the bathroom. "Ready?" Her mom asks. "Yeah," she replies. They both walk out onto the porch, and shut the door behind them. "Crap, I forgot my keys. I'll be right back." "Mom how do you forget your keys when you had one job: which was to get your keys?" She says smartly. Her mother doesn't reply, just walks back into the house and begins rummaging through her purse. She hears a door slam, and she looks across the street to see Thomas standing there again. "Why is he not at school?" She thinks. "Hey! Do you still need a ride?" Thomas yells over to her. Her attention goes towards her mom who just came out of the house, tossing her keys around in her hand. "Found em'" she says as she shuts the door behind her. She glares at Thomas, giving him dirty looks. "Mom, stop." The girl whispers. "Okay, just get in the car."
||
Her school day was going pretty well, she felt confident in her finals and she got to hang out with her friends during study hall. "Wait, he asked if you needed a ride?!" Erika, one of her best friends, shrieks. "Shhh. And yeah, but I wasn't going to when he didn't even give me an explanation for prom." She whispers. "But you told me he was going to tell you-" Erika starts. "It's complicated, okay? I want to know why he stood me up, but at the same time, I don't. Can we just not talk about this?" She whispers into her friends ear. "Okay, fine." She doesn't talk to Erika again till lunch, which is also when she gets to see Alyssa, her other best friend. She hops into the lunch line and grabs her tray when someone bumps into her, sending her food all over the floor. She looks up, and of course, it's Thomas. "I'm so sorry," he says helping her pick up the remaining food on the floor. "Just stay away from me, okay?" She puts it onto her tray, then throws it into the trash can. She scans the cafeteria, looking for Erika and Alyssa when she finds them in the clear back of the room. "Looks like I won't be eating today." She says as she sits down next to Alyssa. "What happened?" Alyssa asks. "Oh, you know. Just Thomas ruining my life," she says laying her head on the table. "Speaking of Thomas, he said needs to talk to you." Erika says. "You know, I think he wants you back." Alyssa whispers. "Yeah, well I don't want him back. Can we just stop talking about him?" Erika makes a movement with her head, signaling her to look to her right. She picks her head up and looks to see what Erika was motioning to. "Seriously? Why is he coming over here?" She asks. "Like I said, he told me he needs to talk to you." "Listen, I'm really, really sorry." Thomas says as he sits down. "About what? The fact you stood me up at prom or the fact that you just wasted my lunch?" She asks smartly. "Look, I'm trying to be nice." "Yeah well I'm done being nice. You can leave now." She gives a fake smile and waves as he stands up from the seat. As he walks away he drops a note in front of Erika. "What is that?" She asks as she moves over beside Erika. Erika unfolds the piece of paper and spreads it out on the table. When she reads the note, her heart drops to her stomach. There are six words on that paper, and those six words make her want to bawl her eyes out. Erika looks at her and gives a shy smile, and she does the same. "What are you going to say?" Alyssa says jumping into the conversation. "I'm going to say yes," she whispers.
||
The rest of the school day is a drag, all she can think about is Erika and Thomas. How could Erika do that? She rests her head on her desk, fighting back the tears. After all she's done for Erika, and she just turns around and stabs her in the back? Of course she thinks I don't like him, but he still broke my heart.