Part 20

I place the wrapped note along with the bills in my pocket before running up the stairs. As I swing open the door to my room, I frantically look for something to wear. I eventually find a dark blue tank top, that is laced on the back. I slip on a pair of jean shorts and my black flip flops. I pull my hair up, not bothering to fix it nice. If I was really going to have my perfect prom like I always wanted, I know I need the perfect dress. I already have the perfect dress in my mind, I just don't know where to find it yet.

As I drive down the main road, I see a tiny dress shop on the corner of the street. I pull by the sidewalk, and climb out of the car before shutting the door behind me. As I open the door to the shop, I get hit with a gust of perfume, which actually smells delightful. An older lady with dark brown hair approaches me, a huge smile painted on her face. "Hi, can I help you with any dress in particular, or are you just looking?" She says cheerily as she stops in front of me. "Oh, no thank you. I'm just looking." I give a small smile as she gives a nod, and walks away. I start by looking in the front of the store, finding nothing but huge pink and purple dresses, that are tight around the waist. I make my way toward the back of the store, and find mini dresses in many colors. Black, pink, purple, blue, they had them all. I continue to look, but find nothing that I personally like. I start to walk for the exit when the worker speaks again, causing me to turn around. "Have a nice day!" She shouts as I smile once more. "You too," I say as I walk out the door.

I climb back into my car, and start the ignition. I sigh as I lean back onto my seat. I know this wasn't going to be easy, but I didn't think it would be this hard to find the perfect dress. I pull out, and drive down the road again, checking on each side of the sidewalk for any more shops that interest me. I continue driving down the road about half a mile before I find another shop. I park my car, and climb out, then cross the street to the store. It's way nicer than the last little store, and has plenty of dresses to look at. This time when I walk in, no one approaches to welcome me, so I start to look on the closest racks. Once again, they're all purple or pink, which really isn't what I'm looking for. I decide to look at one of the tags, and I'm completely shocked. It was $867, which I obviously couldn't afford. I look toward the back of the store to see a clearance rack, which would be perfect if I found one I liked. I make my way to the back of the store and begin going through the dresses. I stop when I find a bluish turquoise dress, with a lace flowery top. I knew this was the one, it was perfect. I check the tag, and see its $530, right in my range. A smile grows on my face as I take the dress off the rack. I carry it toward the service desk, and ring the bell for a worker to assist me. A younger lady comes out of the back room, a smile on her face just like the last. "Hi, what can I help you with?" She asks as she makes her way behind the desk. "I'd like to try this on, please." "Of course! This way," she says as she grabs keys off a hook and leads me toward the dressing rooms. She opens the first door with her key, and gestures for me to go in. I walk into the room, lock it behind me, and undress. I take the dress off its hanger and slip into it, struggling to zipper the back of it. I finally manage to zipper it, and I realize there are no mirrors in the dressing room. I slowly open the door to see the lady standing there smiling. "The mirror is over there," she says pointing the left of the hall. I walk toward it, and she follows behind me, smiling as she does. "You look beautiful," her smile grows as she sees me smiling, too. "Thank you." This really was the dress, I could tell. I walk back into the dressing room and remove the dress, then carefully put it back onto its hanger as I slip back into my clothes. I carry the dress out to the cash register, and lay it on the desk as I pull out the dollar bills. She appears behind the desk, and scans the tag, then I hand her the money. She places the dress in a bag, being careful not to wrinkle it. "Your change is $70," she says handing me my change. "Thanks," I smile as I take the change and bag from her hands.