The Successor

A few years have passed since the wishing star returned to the sky. Sabino has passed away, but what he left behind was a song whose melody echoes through the streets of Rosas. Queen Amaya continues to make amends for the actions her ex-husband has committed. But even she longs for a dream of her own. Asha, who became a fairy godmother, gives those who find their dreams impossible a chance, something the former king never offered.  As a result of supporting those who dream big, the kingdom has become a place some would consider, "Ahead of its time".  Today, the fairy godmother meets with her friends who work in the castle and is about to receive an offer from the queen that will change her life forever.

Asha and Valentino entered the kitchen where all of their friends were waiting. After greeting each other, they sat down to discuss their day. Amaya came through the doorway that connected to the rest of the castle.

"Hi everyone. Is Asha here?" Queen Amaya asked.

"Just arrived, Your Highness," replied Asha.

"There is something I want to talk to you about. I hope you don't mind," said Queen Amaya.

"Not at all, Your Majesty," Asha turns to face her friends, "Go ahead and start without me. I'll join you soon,"

"Alright then," Dahlia responded. She believed it was something good the queen wanted to share with Asha. She couldn't wait to hear what it was.

Queen Amaya and Asha are walking up the spiral staircase of the castle. They begin to converse.

"What is it, Your Highness?" Asha asked in a curious tone.

"Asha, I think we have worked long enough together for you to call me Amaya," the queen remarked humorously. Asha chuckled.

"Fair enough", she replied. Over the years Queen Amaya became like an older sister, maybe even like a second mother to Asha. Queen Amaya, like Asha's father Tomás, and Asha's grandfather Sabino, continued to share great wisdom with the now-young adult Asha. 

"I don't know how to say this, so I'll just start from the beginning," Amaya continued. Asha could tell the queen wanted to tell her something important but didn't know how to.

"When Magnifico and I founded Rosas, we shared a dream of building a place where wishes could come true. As you know, that dream lost all its meaning." Amaya explained.

"But a better dream took its place, right? A dream shared by all of us: Rosas, a place where one can follow their dreams, by simply holding their wish close to their heart." Asha proudly proclaimed. That response was just the thing Amaya wanted to hear.

"That is why I wanted to talk to you. As the queen of Rosas, I must help my people discover themselves so they can find their dreams." Amaya turns her gaze to Asha and continues, "But I wish to find a dream of my own. I don't know what it is. All I know is that it is not here," She looks to the horizon through the castle windows, pressing her hand against the glass. "It's out there." Asha caught on to what she was getting at.

"You're looking for a successor." she realized. Amaya sighed in relief.

"Asha, I have something really important to ask you. You don't need to have an answer now, but I want you to consider it. My new dream may be somewhere beyond that horizon, but your dream has always been to help others and stand up to injustice." said Amaya with sincerity. "Asha, will you be my successor?" she finally asks.

Asha gasped silently, her hands over her mouth, not knowing what to say. There was a sense of nervousness but also excitement building up in her as she thought about the opportunities she could bring to Rosas.

"Can I have a few days to think about it?" she asked nervously. She quickly adds, "I want to say yes, but I'm unsure."

Amaya smiled and placed her hand on Asha's shoulder. "Of course. Take your time. I don't intend to step down until a few months." To this response, Asha sighs in relief.

"I need to tell my friends about this!" Asha said excitedly. She started jogging down the stairs back toward the kitchen.

"Guys, Amaya wants me to be her successor!" Asha said excitedly.

"Really?", asked Valentino, wagging his tail quickly. Dahlia was behind the counter, her head jerked up hearing the news. She knew it was something good.

"Yes!" Asha quickly replied, "I am however a little unsure." she added with a nervous tone.

"You're a natural Asha, it was inevitable that she would want you to take her place" replied Gabo.

"Inevitable?" Asha questioned.

"You're sweet, and caring, and you stand up for others" Bazeema commented.

"It must be a lot to process. Sleep on it. Maybe you will know in the morning." Simon recommended. Asha smiled, she had a sense of relief knowing her friends supported her.

"This is great and all, but get them while they are hot everyone!" Dahlia playfully interjected as she set down a tray of cookies on the counter.

"Dahlia your cookies are to die for", complemented Asha.

"Oh, I know" Dahlia responded in a cocky tone, to which everyone shared a laugh.

As Asha and Valentino begin walking home, deep in the dungeon the mirror containing the former king starts to glow green.