The Wishing Star

Asha and Valentino begin trekking through the forest toward the cottage they call home. Asha tells Valentino to head back without her.

"Is everything ok?" he asked, looking up at her. She squats down so her eye level matches his.

"Yeah, I just need some time alone to reflect," she assures him.

"I understand, see you when you get back," he responded. He begins to prance down the path that leads to their cottage while Asha starts to head up the path that leads to the Wishing Tree.

Walking to the wishing tree, Asha starts to reflect on the past. She recalls the night she first wished upon a star, to the defeat of King Magnifico. She remembered the feeling she had when she saw everyone's hearts glow, when the king tried to break their spirits. From that day on, she knew not even the clouds could hide the stars because we were stars.

Approaching the Wishing Tree, she begins to climb and notices something new. There is a new star in the night sky. From her perspective, it was slightly above and to the right of the Wishing Star, almost as if it could be the "Second Star to the Right" from Peter Pan.

Asha looked to the wishing star and began to share her new heart's desire.

"Hey, Star. Looks like you got a new friend up there. I have a new wish I'd like to share with you," she said. "I wish to see you again. Not just as a star in the sky, but you on Earth. You had this playful spirit and energy. It felt comforting to know there was someone who knew there was a solution to any problem, someone who looked on the bright side despite any dark circumstance," she shared. "I know you have a duty to the cosmos as the Wishing Star. But I thought I should tell you. I miss you, old friend," she admitted.

She looks down at the city of Rosas and reflects on the beautiful wishes of the people who are now following their dreams. "You were there for me, and you are still here for us to wish upon," Asha commends. After a short moment of silence, she speaks again. "Well, the next time I wish, I will be back here on the Wishing Tree," she says while climbing down the tree.

Asha begins to walk through the forest toward her cottage when suddenly a bright light illuminates the night sky. Asha knew it could mean one thing, Star has returned to Earth.

Asha sees a trail of light flying her way. Smiling, she knew who it was immediately. Star flies right into her hands and Asha kisses him on the cheek. Out of pure joy, Star glows brighter and begins to rise, slowly transforming as Asha watches in awe.

Star transforms into a human boy wearing a sorcerer's outfit with a cloak of stars and pointy shoes. He finishes his transformation with his arms and legs extended like a five-pointed star, glowing with a yellow aura. He begins to fly back toward Asha.

"Star?" Asha asks as Star playfully flies around her once.

"Hello Asha," responds Star.

Click the External Link for visual reference: Storyboard provided by YouTuber BlackLeah.

"How, I don't... what?" Asha responds not knowing what to say. Star chuckles, understanding her confusion.

"I don't know. I think my power is...evolving!" he responds in amazement. Without speaking he transforms into his first form, then back again. "It's like, I can now reflect those who have wished upon me". After a small pause, he adds, "Like you". He says this while pointing to Asha's heart as it starts to glow. Asha smiles and starts to chuckle.

"What?", Star asks.

"Nothing just...", Asha trails off, continuing to chuckle at a new realization. "I guess I'm going to have to call you something other than Star now" Asha pauses for a moment. "Do you have a name?", she asks.

"I do. It's Earendel. I like Star though, I'll keep it as a nickname," he replies.

"Earendel" she repeats, cementing it in her head. After a small pause to let Asha digest all the new things she just discovered, he continues.

"You made a wish to see me again," he says.

"Yes, I didn't expect you to answer so soon. Nonetheless, in a new form," Asha admits. Earendel laughs.

"I definitely wasn't expecting a new form myself either," his tone shifts to one of concern. "But, something tells me you weren't just wishing for a reunion,"

"Yes, there is more to it. Let's wait until morning to talk. I've had a busy day" Asha explains.

"Very well," Earendel responds in an understanding tone. As they start walking back toward the cottage, Asha says,

"I know one thing's for sure, Valentino is going to be so happy to see you,"

Moments later, they arrive at the cottage. Opening the door, Asha sees Sakina reading a book with a single candle as her light source.

"Mom, I'm home," Asha announced.

"Asha," Sakina says, happy to see her daughter. "Valentino said you were coming, but I didn't know how long you would be out. What was that light, by the way?"

"Something came up," Asha says, trying to act casually. As if on cue, Star, in his first form, flies in from behind Asha and greets Sakina in his playful way. She gasps.

"What a lovely surprise!" she says. Valentino was resting when Star's signature glow illuminated where he was in the room.

"Ugh, just when I start falling asleep, someone turns on the li...!" Valentino stops mid-sentence, noticing the source of the light. "Star!" He leaps out of his little goat bed and starts to play with him. Star circles around Valentino as he lifts his front hooves off the ground, bleating. Asha and Sakina can't get over how cute this moment is. Earendel decides to stay in his first form for the rest of the night. He knows if he transformed now, he and Asha would be bombarded with many questions. Asha yawns.

"I don't know about all of you, but I've had a long day. Goodnight," says Asha as she climbs upstairs to her room.

"Goodnight baby," Sakina said just before blowing out the candle.