What Have I Done?

I am not courting Penelope Featherington; not in your wildest dreams Fife!"

She shoots up from her nightmare; gasping for air and shaking. Not only had Eloise found her hidden compartment in her floor, but then she overhears Colin, the man she has been in love with (although unrequited) for the last few years, laughing with his buddies about her. She knew she was no beauty, she was overweight by the tons standards, and unpopular, but she'd always felt well-liked around the Bridgerton's. And only moments before, Colin had told how much he cherished their friendship and felt very protective of her. How silly of her to think him sincere.

She got up and looked over her latest scandal sheet. She would send it off to the printers first thing in the morning. Penelope was taking control over her life. Her mother had been bamboozled by their father's cousin, Jack. They would be destitute if she hadn't thought to contact her solicitor to set up a trust for them. They would think it was a forgotten account that their father had set up for his daughter's dowries. Sure, it was taking a chunk of her Lady Whistledown earnings, but she had more than enough.

ooooooooo

1814 May 20

Dearest Reader,

My, my! What a night it was at the Featherington Ball this past Saturday my lovelies!

Not only was the current Lord Featherington exposed as a thief and a liar, but he seemed to have made off with half of societies money as he fled to America! This leaves Prudence Featherington a single young lady once more.

And dear reader, the eldest Featherington daughter was slighted and left by her fiancé, as the youngest, Penelope (in butter yellow once again) was seen fleeing in tears after Mister Colin Bridgerton was overheard declaring that he was not currently and never will court the poor girl. Time to find a different wall to hang on, Miss Featherington!

In other more happy news the Viscount and his intended are planning a small party to celebrate their upcoming nuptials. Her sister Edwina, this season's diamond seems to have found a good friend in our Queen, and is being courted by none other than Queen Charlotte's nephew Prince Friedrich.

One last ball, my dears, and the season closes! One last write-up from yours truly, then I hide away at my seaside retreat until October then we see which new beauty will be chosen the illustrious title of the Diamond of the First Water! Til next time!

~Lady Whistledown~

Colin watched as his mother read the latest edition of the gossip rag everyone in the Ton was obsessed with. She gasped, paled, and then he heard her say, "Oh, Colin. Tell me you didn't say this!" He saw her looking at him, a horrified expression on her face. He walked over and grabbed the scandal sheet. Finding his name, he read what it said, suddenly feeling weak in the knees. He stumbled then fell onto the settee next to his mother.

"Fife and some others were ribbing me. Asking if I was pursuing Pen. I, I didn't know she was there." He felt as if he were going to be sick.

"You've made a horrible mistake, Colin. Do you have any idea what this will do to her reputation? You've made her a pariah in society. You've basically told all of London that Penelope is not worthy of being courted, of being loved!" The door to the parlour opened and Eloise stepped into the room.

She took one look at her mother and Colin and knew something was wrong. Had something happened after she left the ball? That's when she saw the latest Whistledown in her brother's hands. "Oh, what has that woman written now!" She exclaimed as she tore it from her brother's grasp.

"...the youngest, Penelope (in butter yellow once again) was seen fleeing in tears after Mister Colin Bridgerton was overheard declaring that he was not currently and never will court the poor girl. Time to find a different wall to hang on, Miss Featherington!"