Chapter 7

You automatically come to your feet. Thor stands in front of both you and Loki in a defensive position.

He still wasn't used to it. Neither were you.

"Jarvis, what happened?" Steve is the only sane one who asks.

"An emergency mission, sir. The Avengers have to leave for the jet in 15 minutes." Jarvis replies, and for the first time in forever, his voice is lifeless.

"Y/n, this is your first mission." Steve says, holding you by your shoulders and looking right into your eyes, staring right into your soul with his blue ones.
"Keep yourself safe and do not let Loki escape."

You nod your head. And he turns away without waiting for an answer.

As they run out of your room, Steves adds, "We trust you, Y/n. You can do this."

You don't know why, but you feel a desperate need to meet them all once before they leave. The one you feel every time they leave. The one that never goes away.

You always feel like you are seeing them for the last time. So you chose to ignore what Steve said. To see them just once again. Just once.

"Sleep." You say as you turn to look at Loki.

"What?" He looks at you like he looks at everybody, like you are an idiot.

"Sleep." You insist, putting more conviction behind your words.

And before he knows it, he falls to your bed that he had his back against.

You run downstairs. Thankfully, the lift was back on your floor.

"Thanks, J." You add quickly as the lift starts to descend.

The lift stops with a ding, making you stop imagining every worst possible scenario this would end in. You walk out.

"Y/n, what are you doing here?" Clint asks, surprised.

You don't answer. You don't need words to tell him that he had become an elder brother of sorts for you.

You open your mouth to speak, but your eyes well with tears and no words come out.

Instead, you are sobbing, not the loud sobs. It's the ones that destroy you as you suffer in silence. He takes a step towards you, and you take one back.  That stops him in his tracks, and he just looks at you.

"It's okay, Y/n. We'll be okay. It's just another mission." He softly says after a while, as Jarvis reminds them to hurry.

"Y/n, where is my brother." Thor who just came into the room from god knows where asks.

"Sleeping in Miss Y/n room." Jarvis replies for you. You make a mental note to thank him for it later. They all know exactly what he was talking about since you had to do that to Bruce a couple of times. Well, not Bruce, technically it was Hulk.

Natasha gave you a curt nod as she heads out. Look after yourself. Her voice only comes out this concerned when she was speaking telepathically. As if she, too, was afraid of letting her guard down around the others.

"Good work, kid."
"Don't let him out of your sight."
"Be safe."

A chorus of voices gave you compliments, instructions, and commands as the Avengers go out the door.

You can do nothing but nod. You can say nothing as you see them leave.

Take care. You tell them once they are out of sight and head back up.

It wasn't like they never left you alone before or that they never left in a hurry.
But every time they left, you couldn't have a moment of peace until they were all back home safe.