Day 0 - Prologue: 1/3

The changeling invasion of Canterlot was a terrifying event, scarring ponies for a long time to come. However, in the end, kinder hearts prevailed over politics and power grabs, and a pathway to diplomacy between the two species eventually appeared despite rigorous opposition. An official peace treaty was signed roughly a year later, and changelings were allowed into pony cities without the fear of any official retribution. The unofficial but expected reactions of ponies varied from curious observation to straight up hostility. However, since most ponies had zero direct experience with changelings, the majority of cities eventually grew to regard them as any other newcomer as long as they didn't cause trouble. Of course, wandering around in the open was only an avenue for the few changelings tasked by the queen with testing the waters. The good old shapeshifting was still the main method of getting around, but the added safety of not immediately facing torches and pitchforks in case they burned a little more love expected, making their disguise fail, made work so much easier for infiltrators.

As one would expect, an easier job for infiltrators meant more love for the hive overall and, as heartless as it would sound, the same went for the fact that the overall number of surviving changelings post-invasion stabilized around three hundred. Thanks to all that, it could be said that the changelings were thriving, even though their numbers were microscopic in contrast to the times before the invasion. At least the living ones weren't starving anymore... or starving that much... or-

The point is, things got better overall.

In Canterlot itself it was different, obviously, due to ponies having a distinctly unpleasant set of extremely personal experiences. Technomagical devices made for detecting changelings were installed in all public buildings, changelings themselves weren't allowed to shapeshift into ponies without permission, and any short-term changeling visitors had to declare their business at Royal Guard gate posts.

In short, while three years have passed since the changeling invasion of Canterlot so far, and despite things having improved dramatically, attitudes and relationships will doubtlessly take many more years to reach a level where a changeling and a pony can live side by side and, as friends, hate all those damn immigrant diamond dogs.

As for how things are now back home in the Badlands hive...

***

The machine gun thudding of tiny hooves on a rocky floor echoes through a pitch-black tunnel deep underground. Five changeling drones are pumping their legs as fast as they can while being pursued by something completely hidden in darkness behind them. The only thing any surface dweller would see here would be five pairs of rapidly approaching, glowing, teal eyes.

"Is this normal? I hatched last week," asks 99782 via a hive link, its mouth busy gasping for breath.

"WHERE ARE ALL THESE PINCERY SKITTERERS ARE COMING FROM?!" screams 78821 out loud.

"WE WERE JUST DIGGING THROUGH THIS TUNNEL LAST MONTH AND IT WAS CLEAR!" adds 86995 in the back.

"Not normal. Got it. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" 99782 joins in the loud yelling.

"AAAAAAAH!"

"Do you think that the yelling is just making them follow us?" 78821 ponders the situation.

"THAT'S THE POINT!" calls out the drone in the lead - 10013.

"Wait, really?"

"YUP, NOW START YELLING!"

"Aaaaaah!"

"LOUDER!"

"AAAAAAAAAH!"

"GOOD JOB!"