Tenderness and Tragedy

'Others were a part of my journey but you were always my Destination.' Words by Jen

   The house just didn't seem the same without Maz  laughing at some funny joke Anakin told her or scolding Darth for something trivial like stealing a extra piece of bacon at breakfast. 

        It was too quiet. Too empty without her there to give out well meaning advice or the sound of  her knitting needles click clacking  together , making a lucky person a blanket or scarf.

    She was a wonderful grandmother and they all missed her terribly. But they all knew she'd be back very soon.

    Rey visited Maz every day  while she convalesced in the hospital.  They talked about the children and her work, but then the conversation turned to the man they were deceiving...Ben.
"Are you going to tell him, Rey? You can't carry this burden on your shoulders forever. He need to know where he came from and and who he really is and then he can decide himself if he wants to stay."

The mood in the hospital room changed from pleasant to somber. Rey felt overwhelming guilt for this continuous deception, but she could not deny her feelings any longer.

She wanted this charade to last forever and she was willingly to deceive herself in the process.

     "Ben got me the most amazing bedroom set for our anniversary. How he found out about the anniversary  I can't imagine."

        Maz just smiled serenely to herself and said with a twinkle in her eye,   " I can't imagine either. But now you both will be more comfortable and he won't have to sleep on the couch. It will be like you are truly husband and wife."
Fooling him even further.

    Rey felt a guilty twinge  in her heart. Maz knew right from wrong but she was playing Cupid, perpetuating the deception.
      Rey couldn't get mad at her meddling match making now.  At the beginning this whole thing was about getting  what  she could out of a rude , obnoxious jerk . Now it had turned out so differently. 

She was living the lie she vowed she would not let happen.

  She had not in a million years thought that she'd actually fall in love with him.  It was as if when he bumped his head , not only did it give him amnesia, but totally changed who he was as well.
It hadn't occurred to her that it was her that had caused the miraculous change in him.

    It had happened so fast... to quickly for her brain to catch up to what was occurring.  She wasn't expecting to  see a different man than the one who propositioned her on the yacht.

    But she felt the instant connection when she first saw him at the hospital. He was still grumpy and obnoxious but his Alpha scent told her things only her heart understood.
He had changed for the better.   This is what he needed . He needed her.

And now it was out of her control.

It felt good and dizzying and  bittersweet.

She had noticed the curve of his smile when he watched Padme' learning to walk, she became aware of the deep amber color of his eyes when looking down into her face. And she  had known at that moment that she was the luckiest woman in the world or totally screwed if she denied what she felt.

    But that didn't make acceptable what she had done to him. He deserved to know who he really was and where he came from.

   Just not yet.....

######

  On the day his 'mother' came home , Ben helped Maz carefully out of the truck like she was a fragile china doll. He wanted to carry her indoors but she refused , saying she could manage just fine ' thank you kindly, just the same."