seventeen

When she got into work the next day, waiting for her on her desk were 90 red roses. Mouth dropping, she stood shell shocked as did the other women filing in from the parking lot.

"Oh my God Jasper, those are for you?"

"I guess so."

"We didn't know you had a boyfriend!"

"I wish my husband still did things like that,"

"Come on Carol, it's too early in the morning for your complaining."

"I'm just saying. To be young again and in love," Watching as the women walked away to their respective assignments for the day, she felt a hand come around her shoulder.

"He's serious about you, huh?" Looking up at Sarah, she felt her cheeks grow warm.

"I don't know... I mean..."

"Whaddya mean you don't know? Haven't you been dating him for three months?"

"No, we've been getting to know one another for three months."

"Oh."

"We haven't made anything official,"

"I see," With a small smile, Sarah gave her a little push.

"Aren't you gonna read the card? The whole library is starting at stare." Clutching her green cardigan in her hands, she drew nearer to the flowers and retrieved the card.

It's been an amazing three month journey getting to know you, Jasper. I hope we can continue this journey together.

Lio

Her heart bumped so loud she heard it in her neck and her cheeks grew rosy. Tucking the card into her pocket, she grabbed the round black box and put them out of sight under her desk. Scheduled alone today, she grabbed her heat pad and blanket as the library could be cold.

"Sarah," She'd started to turn away.

"Maybe you could give him a chance?" Smiling at her, the woman came back and hugged her from behind.

"I don't have to give him a chance. As long as he treats you right and you remain happy that's all I ask for." Pressing a kiss against her temple, the woman continued to her assignment for the day, in the CD section. Feeling herself smile, she glanced at the roses again before settling in for her day.

***

He no longer felt guilty about it, watching her leave work everyday. He gladly sat and watched everyone file out, everyone except Jasper. Glancing at his watch, he looked up to see a familiar face. That old fuck was back and he stood in the same spot as he had last time. Already feeling his hackles raise, the door opened and she finally appeared. One of the few cars left in the parking lot, he watched her descend down the steps. As she came into view, the man rushed out.

"You have a boyfriend or something, sweet thing?" Startled, she turned to see Whitmore behind her, hands in his pockets.

"Whitmore, why are you here? The library is closed."

"I'm here for you, chocolate mama."

"Chocolate mama? Alright, listen-"

"No, you listen! You're my gal and can't nobody else have you!" Pulling a knife out of his pocket, he aimed it at her.

"Whoa! Whoa whoa whoa... Whitmore..."

"I told you I'd be back for you. I've been watching you and that prick this whole time."