nineteen

Stepping out of the library, she headed to her car. Luckily, she'd finished early and with it being Sarah's turn to close up shop, her boss let her leave almost a whole hour early. Feeling the breeze drift across her face, she inhaled it with a smile. Looking around the parking lot, she searched for a familiar Toyota but didn't see it. He hadn't come today.

She was a little disappointed at that fact and got into her car with a slight huff. Things between them were happening at a slow pace, some would say too slow, She enjoyed his company but she still didn't know where to place her feelings for him.

In all honesty, while he was a nice guy, he was completely opposite of the ideal man she thought she wanted. Call her elementary but she over the past couple nights had gone through an actual pro and con list of why she liked him and possible deal breakers.

She'd always envisioned someone that shared her same faith. He didn't believe in... well... anything. She also envisioned that her perfect guy was a virgin just like her, and thought it was would be so romantic to learn about each other together. Lio was extremely experienced with the ladies and it didn't help that all said ladies flocked to him. He had this magnetism about him that just... drew you in.

Not to mention that he was a literal murder machine, admittedly. If she were honest with herself, she was kinda scared of him. Just a little bit.

There was nothing that little Suzy couldn't do though and if push came to a shove, she'd shoot him. But what had bullets done but gone through him? If he really wanted to hurt her, there was nothing to stand in his way.

Laying her head on top of her steering wheel, she sighed deeply. She'd been thinking a lot over the past few days, maybe too much. She thought he was funny and enjoyed talking with him and learning about him. But was it enough? What did she really want?

Biting into her lip, she started her car and began to go home. Falling into her routine, she plopped her keys down in its home, kicked off her shoes and began to undress, beelining it for the bathroom. Turning on the shower, she soon stepped in and exhaled in contentment. She wondered how he felt about all of this. He'd dropped this whole mate thing on her and she wasn't sure what it all meant or where it came from. How was one pre-destined to be lovers? Er...a couple? Husband and wife? Hell, she didn't know what to refer to it as.

Closing her eyes, she inhaled the steamer she'd placed in, a calming lavender honey. She was by no means perfect as a person and she was not a perfect person of her faith. But, she had to know what the future looked like... if they decided on a future together. She'd have to talk to him. Maybe surprise him with lunch or something. Taking care of her nightly skin routine and putting on a cozy t shirt, she climbed into bed, ready to finally turn off her mind.

***

The next day, she'd stopped by a sandwich shop and got him a prime rib sub and some fresh cut fries with some Au jus on the side just in case he wanted to dip. It was kinda embarrassing that in almost four months, she didn't know what his favorite food was. So intrigued by the fact that he was over 200 years old, they hadn't delved much into personal territories. Well, she hadn't anyway. He wasn't much of a talker and preferred to let let his memories speak for him. She on the other hand just flat out refused to even think about the things in her past that had left her wounded.

Frankly, she was no better than he was. The only difference between the two of them was that she didn't guilt trip herself. He tormented himself as a form of self punishment. She had become strong, building an impenetrable fortress around her heart. If she stood guard at the gates of her own heart, no one would be able to come in and break it. Perhaps, he felt the same way too. Maybe him choosing to be alone was his way to protect his heart.