eighteen

Mentally cursing herself, she turned around, staring now at a highly improper situation. Lord Frederick sat on her small loveseat in the room that she shared with her husband. It was a glimpse of personal that should not be. He sat in his nightdress, his feet bare. His usually spectacled face was free, leaving his eyes clear. His hair normally pulled away and hidden by his hat now draped across his shoulder, in a low tied ponytail. Everything about this was not supposed to be. And yet here he was. Here she was.

Taking a deep breath, she smiled at him, careful to assume appropriate distance between them.

"What troubles you so late in the night, Lord Frederick?"

"I don't do well with long distance travel. My nights are always a torment."

"Night terrors, perhaps?" His cheeks grew rosy and her heart began to beat faster in her chest.

It baffled her as to how someone who was supposed to be much older could in fact look so young. He didn't appear to have aged at all, save for the baby fat that had still been in his cheeks. That had disappeared. Now more a man than boy, his features seemed to only have intensified in beauty. Curiously.

"You could say that, yes."

"Perhaps I should fetch some warm milk for you? I hear it does wonders to soothe a troubled mind before bed."

"You are most kind." Nodding, she turned to head in the direction of her servant's bell but in the process was stopped almost immediately by his body. Blinking in disbelief, she shrank back, hand on her heart. Did he just... move at the speed of light?

"There's no need for that, my Lady."

Much closer than before, she felt strange now as she heard him speak.

"I was hoping to talk for a while," VIsion blurring, she turned her face away from him and her body also.

"Lord Frederick, it is against all forms of etiquette for you to be here at this hour. My husband-"

"Is currently plowing into some young nubile slave and you're here alone," Gasping, she almost broke her neck trying to look at him.

"I beg your pardon?"

"I haven't come only to view the affairs of your plantation. Frankly, I could care less." Had he always been so tall and brooding? His body seemed to double in size compared to hers and it succeeded in intimidating her a tad. Taking a step back, she gripped her nightrail now.

"Over the years, I could not stop thinking about you, Lady Wigham. How much of a victim you were of his neglect during my time here."

"Neglect?"

"His behavior hasn't changed much, I see. He still prefers to have his way with young defenseless girls while you have to put on a strong graceful face and run this entire operation. It's not fair. I would say it is very selfish." His tone was quiet and sympathetic and it actually caused her to blush. Dear God what was wrong with her?

"My relationship with my husband is none of your concern, Lord Frederick." He was moving towards her and she was moving backward, trying to keep distance but it was distance that he was closing between them fast.

"He is a fool." Again, she thought her eyes deceived her as he in a moment's time appeared right in front of her.

"When is the last time he took care of your needs, Janessa?" She lifted hands to push him away but all of her strength suddenly left her.