Close Shaves

Amber POV
"You're gonna regret you ever came here," I growled at the Shade, sucking in the scraps of the force field into the Shielder.

"Yes, I've heard about your Everblaze," Dusk said, sounding both lazy and dismissive. "It's time for you to understand true power."

"What's going on?" Jessie shouted as the world flared so bright we had to shield our eyes. When we opened them again, everywhere had been plunged into darkness.

Shouts and screams from the passers-by rang out, Dusk's cackle rising above all.

"The darkness must be selective!" I shouted to everyone. "Watch out, he could come from anywhere!"

"Finally, one smart person. Too bad I have to end you first!" Dusk's voice darkened menacingly, and suddenly I spotted three black beams, darker than the overall pitch black around me, racing towards me. I tucked and rolled, crashing into what felt like Leon.

"Sorry..." I whispered, groaning from the pain.

"It's okay," Maruca's voice answered. Turns out it wasn't Leon, it was Maruca. Suddenly, a bright sphere ignited in front of us, revealing Dusk and Trix near to us. Gisela and Anna had crept towards the other group, who tumbled back.

Maruca bowled and snapped her fingers, letting the energy plunge into her mental sea. She immediately formed a force field around us, knocking the screaming villains back. The light of the energy was so bright, it eliminated the darkness in seconds. Dusk snarled and sent bolts of shadows flying towards the shield, but they ricocheted off without leaving a mark.

"You're not going to break through this shield," Maruca warned him. "This is going to be impossible without your little lightning friend, who is trapped with us." She nodded towards Bolt, who was gnashing his teeth as he tried and failed to unravel the thick layer of force fields.

For twenty minutes, Dusk and Trix pounded against the shield to no avail. But then, Maruca's enhancing seemed to wear off, leaving her pale and sweaty. The force field collapsed two minutes later, and Trix's grin could not be more creepy.

"Maruca!" I whispered. She raised her sweaty head and understood what I meant. Channeling the rest of her concentration to meld with mine, she gave me a boost and I burned the whole clearing with Everblaze. Dusk and Trix retreated to the air, leaving Anna hopping and screaming on the ground.

I was ready to deal another blow when Lou screamed, "Look out!" and I felt a cold blade press against my throat.