Showdown : Part Three (As Fast As She Can)

Dusk POV
A few minutes earlier...
"Dusk, stop this madness!" Janet shouted as she blasted deafening bolts at me, her face twisted into hard lines that were matched by her angry scowl.

"Don't you get it?" I countered in exasperation, trying to snag my shadow-cuffs around her. "I'm doing this not just for me. For you. For us."

"There is no us!" Janet growled. "Dusk, that was a long time ago. You have to move on, before it eats you up from the inside!"

I lowered my eyes and confessed, "Janet, you're the melody that has been in my head since the beginning of time. I can never move past that...It's too hard. Time will never heal my wounds. Because you're the only one I love...and the only who loves me. Or used to, at least."

Janet's features softened as she lowered her weapons, whispering softly, "Dusk, you have to move on. It's time."

"I will never stop loving you, Janet," I responded as I turned away, wiping a tear away. I had never wanted to join the dark side and attack innocent people...but Bolt promised me that I would get Janet back. And I had thought I was doing this out of love...but it seemed like this was way too far. Oblivion was the thing I was best at...but maybe it really was time to move on. But I just couldn't do it.

Until Janet placed a hand on my shoulder and told me, "Dusk, no matter where you are, no matter who you are, there is always someone who loves you. I may not be the one, but someone else out there is waiting for you. It's time to let go of the past, and step into the future."

I murmured softly, "But what if she never comes? What if I just lost you forever, and you were my one and only chance?"

Janet settled down beside me before she said, "Don't lose patience, Dusk. Don't lose hope. Because she will come. She just isn't here yet—but she's coming, Dusk. As fast as she can."

She's right, my logical side told me. It was finally my opportunity to move on. And I wasn't about to lose it, not now, not ever.

So I tossed my cloak away into the woods, shook my blond hair out of my eyes, and extended my hand to Janet. It was time I moved on—and erased my past mistakes.

Janet grinned as she took my hand and pulled herself up, kissing me on the cheek as she said, "I'm glad you made the right choice, Dusk. Now we can finally repair our friendship, after so long."

Friendship. The resolution I had been searching for. Finally it was in sight, and it was time to seize it before it vanished again. So I snapped ,y fingers and conjured a black arrow, hurling it towards Trix.

Time to move on.

Time to erase my past mistakes.

Time to repair this friendship, after so long.

As fast as I could.