2. More Responsibility

Chapter 2: More Responsibility

As expected, Headmistress McGonagall delivered a heartwarming and powerful speech to the students, welcoming them back with excitement and support, yet also acknowledging the horrors which had occurred within these very walls. A silent minute was had, and sniffles could be heard scattered across the hall as students were reminded of the events that transpired within the castle grounds a mere few months prior.

It was a strange situation to be in: facing the future on the same floors so many had recently met their end.

As a way to remember the countless witches and wizards which had fought and tragically lost their lives in the battle, McGonagall disclosed that plaques, together with a recent photo of each and every one of the students, professors and the other witches and wizards would be hung upon the wall outside the great hall. She was also careful to explain that while these photos may move, and occasionally utter a sentence, they were in fact not the people themselves. Still, they could offer comfort and celebration of the life, goodness and joy these people experienced, underscoring that this, rather than their death, is what best defined them. This is not to be confused with their decision to risk their life fighting in the battle, which should be kept in mind, Minerva urged; this being a constant reminder of their strength and the sacrifice they made to allow normalcy and everyday life to continue.

Once McGonagall's speech was over, it felt as if she had grown in the eyes of many people in that hall, across all ages.

Following that, once everyone had an opportunity to wipe their eyes and launch their focus back on anticipation of the forthcoming meal, McGonagall decided to introduce the newest additions to the Hogwarts alumni: first years.

"Blimey," Nova mumbled excitedly beside Leigh, "I didn't think we'd have any new first years this time around. When did they have time to send those welcome letters out?"

Leigh hummed in agreement, "I suppose around the time we got our letters. Bit later than normal perhaps, but better late than never when it comes to Hogwarts," she said with a shrug as her eyes trailed towards the back of the hall.

She watched as a crowd of 11 year olds came forth between the tables, moving towards McGonagall, where a chair and the familiar sorting hat were ready and waiting.

One by one, the students were called, and she saw how they, with usually uncertain and trudging steps, made their way up to the chair. Gosh, it was difficult to grasp that that had been her and her classmates just a couple of years ago, young and eager to get thrown into the wonderful world of magic. Time just ran away, and now when she looks back it felt like it had been running way too fast.