19. Empathy is Hot

Chapter 19: Empathy is Hot

The two of them spent the rest of the night practically shoving crumpets down their throats and giggling like lunatics. For some reason he always had the ability to make her laugh, no matter how bad she felt before stepping into his presence. Then again, there was a reason he and his brother were running a successful joke shop; laughter was their forte.

After her realisation that she might've looked at Fred...more than she should've, she started noticing herself doing it. She blushed more than she should, giggled at his stupid words, was drawn towards him where they both sat on the couch. She caught herself looking at him for too long. And while this wasn't that much of a problem when they both sat there, laughing at 11pm in the evening, that was not the case when she woke up the next day.

She swore that the second she opened her eyes she could feel her face flush red in embarrassment, and she shoved her comforter up over her face with a groan.

It was strange; in the moment things could feel completely fine and effortless, yet looking back at it she felt so incredibly awkward.

She had really gone over there, cried mercilessly on his couch, eaten all the crumpets within a 13 mile radius, proceeded to slightly check him out, then left in the middle of the night. What in the world.

She pushed the comforter even more onto her face. God. She wished she could wipe her own memory.

"What are you huffing for?"

Nova's voice appeared through Leigh's thick fog of embarrassment. Lowering the comforter, Leigh peeked out only to see her friend standing in front of the mirror, applying what looked like some kind of blush on her face.

Strange. Nova was never the first to get out of bed. Leigh looked over at the clock at her bedside table, cursing to herself once she realised it was way too much. She shot out of bed. "Why didn't you wake me up?" She asked brashly as she was struggling to put on a sock.

Nova, unfazed, looked at her through the reflection in the mirror. "You slept so peacefully, I didn't have the heart to," she admitted with a pout, and Leigh rolled her eyes. "Besides, you got back so late yesterday, I figured you needed the sleep."

Leigh went bright red again and desperately attempted to shield her face behind her hair. Nova, however, seemed to catch on and stifled a laugh at the view.

"I'm not gonna ask...yet, but you bet I'll torture it out of you later if I have to."

Leigh huffed, detangling herself from her pyjamas and slipping into normal clothes. It was a Friday, she wasn't going to walk around in robes.

"There's literally nothing to tell," she claimed, rushing into the bathroom to quickly brush her teeth and get ready.

"Your face says otherwise!" Nova sing-songed from outside the bathroom. "But I'll drop iiiiit." A pause. "For noooow."