18. Crumpets

Chapter 18: Crumpets

Soon enough two cups were floating down from the second floor of the shop and towards her. She looked up at Fred's face by her side only to see him intently following the cups' movement with his gaze.

"Focused?" She asked teasingly.

He quickly shushed her with a small grin, yet not taking his eyes off the cups. "You dont want me to drop them, do you?" he asked, and she watched as the cups surely made their way towards them. Once they stopped in front of her she took a cup from the air with a smile. Fred did the same.

"God, I think I'll need a lie down after that," he muttered, taking a sip from his cup while playfully wiping his forehead from imaginary sweat.

She let out a laugh. "Oldie," she muttered quietly, almost so quiet he couldn't hear her.

"Hey," he immediately erupted. "That's not the way to talk to the guy who just got you tea." He shook his head, sipping the tea in an excruciatingly judgemental way. "Besides, it's just two years so I'm not sure what you're on about."

"Oh is it really? You could've fooled me."

He looked at her with an offended look. "Ouch. You're rude today."

She smiled, looking up at his tall form. "Sorry," she said, the sound almost resembling a giggle, and he playfully shook his head in response. Truth is she often seemed to feel that glint in her eye when she was around him, and she couldn't quite put her finger on why.

"Anyway, this is the snackbox things," he continued, pointing to an area where the different assortments were on display. "We have some new ones, like the Cold Caramels, which causes the eater to get cold-like symptoms, starts snivelling and things. Another new one is the Lumping Licorice, which just makes lumps grow all over. You've probably heard of some of the old ones; Puking Pastilles, Fever Fudge, Fainting Fancies and Nosebleed Nougats."

She nodded as he listed the products, although slightly disgusted by them all.

"Hey, I think I remember this one," she said, stepping forwards towards the shelf to take a closer look. She read the label, nodding slightly. "Yeah, I didn't realise when I read the products list but– this is the one that is also called the Blood Blisterpod, right?" Leigh asked, pointing to the Nosebleed Nougat and looking up at Fred with anticipation.

"Yeah, might say that in the products list," he responded, and she nodded to herself.

"Right! I remember that!" She waltzed into her memories with a smile, thinking back to those days in 5th year. "I remember I think Evan took one of those once. Not sure he knew what it was, all of a sudden he just bled like crazy, nothing seemed to stop it. I was freaking out! Had no clue what to do until this 4th year came up and told him to just eat some purple sweet, and finally it stopped." She laughed slightly. "Turned out some Ravenclaw in charms had just offered it to him and forgotten to say what it caused. It was chaos," she chuckled before she quieted down. "But that was...before," she drifted off uncertainly, gulping as she tore herself away from her blissful memories. "Yeah", she nodded to herself, looking away from the products and down onto her hands.