23. Gas Gummies

Chapter 23: Gas Gummies

The Halloween Hogsmeade trip took place two days later, and Leigh found herself trudging beside Nova on the path down to the village. Nova hadn't been this excited in weeks. Apparently her crush, which she hadn't spoken to at all until now, had finally acknowledged her existence. Adding to that, she got to know he didn't have a date to Hogsmeade. She never planned on asking him herself, but just knowing he wasn't dating anyone filled her with joy.

Leigh walked by her side quietly, listening as she gushed about Terry Boot, the Ravenclaw, just like she had done over a month prior.

Leigh gnawed at her lip. She had no particular shop she wanted to visit today, and was planning to just follow Nova wherever she wanted to go. As long as she didn't have to be dragged into Puddifoots. That's where she drew the line.

Rather than Puddifoots, Nova started dragging Leigh in another direction. Her feeling of relief was, however, cut short as she realised it was in the direction of a particular joke shop.

"Come on Nova, what would you ever need from a joke shop?" Leigh asked, hoping Nova would somehow realise her mistake and turn around.

She turned on her heel, giving Leigh a slight glare as her index finger came up to point against a spot to the right side of her nose. "Something to help with this," she responded grumpily.

Leigh pushed her lips together. She did briefly remember some form of pimple vanisher on the twins' products list, and figured this is what Nova was after. Leigh looked uncertainly towards the orange building, then back to her friend. Nova rolled her eyes.

"Don't be a coward," she huffed impatiently. "Just come with me. It's just gonna be a second. Just...hide somewhere or something if it means that much to you."

Leigh grimaced. She wasn't going to hide and she certainly wasn't a coward.

Five minutes later, inside the shop, she found herself crouching slightly behind a shelf, trying to look inconspicuous. Nova had rushed off towards the WonderWitch section, leaving Leigh to fend for herself in the jungle of friend groups lingering around every corner. None of the twins were to be seen, until she heard the familiar voice of George Weasley on the other side of the shelf she was hiding behind, speaking with a costumer.

"Gas Gummies, new for this year! Which, well, you might guess, makes people fart uncontrollably. A bit childish perhaps, but believe me, after a few seconds of that McGonagall will let you out of that classroom, I guarantee you that!"

Leigh frowned disapprovingly. She peeked around the corner, watching as the group of costumers, a bunch of young boys, nodded impressively, high fiveing each other. George was already out of sight, probably having rushed off to help someone else after he pointed them towards the till. The coast was clear. Or so she thought.

She turned on her heel, planning to walk deeper into the shop unseen, and immediately almost walked face first into someone's chest. In front of her a tall form was standing with their arms crossed, looking down at her with a look of suspicion. Their irises followed her every move, taking in the view of her crouching behind the shelf by the products.