Competition (Usopp x reader)

requested by nobody ✨

warnings - none

————————————————

Amidst the cheerful chatter and the clinking of dishes, Usopp sat at the corner table of the galley, his eyes fixed on the object of his affections, Y/N. She was laughing at one of Sanji's jokes, her smile lighting up the room in a way that made Usopp's heart skip a beat.

"Hey, Usopp, you okay?" Luffy nudged him with an elbow, snapping him out of his trance.

Usopp blinked, tearing his gaze away from Y/N and forced a smile. "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Just lost in thought."

Luffy shrugged and turned his attention back to his food, leaving Usopp to wallow in his own turmoil. He knew he couldn't compete with Sanji – the suave cook had a way with words and a flair for romance that left Usopp feeling inadequate. Plus, Sanji always seemed to have a never-ending supply of gifts and compliments for Y/N.

As the days passed, Usopp found himself withdrawing, unable to bear the sight of Y/N laughing at Sanji's jokes or accepting his gifts with a grateful smile. He kept his distance, burying his feelings deep inside, convincing himself that it was for the best.

One afternoon, as Usopp sat alone on the deck, polishing his slingshot, Y/N approached him, concern evident in her eyes.

"Usopp, can I talk to you for a moment?" she asked, her voice gentle.

Usopp looked up, startled by her sudden appearance. "Oh, uh, sure, Y/N. What's up?"

Y/N took a seat beside him, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "I've noticed that you've been acting a little... distant lately. Is everything okay?"

Usopp's heart clenched at her words, guilt gnawing at him. He couldn't bear to lie to her any longer. Taking a deep breath, he met her gaze. "Y/N, there's something I need to tell you."

Y/N waited patiently as Usopp struggled to find the right words, his heart pounding in his chest.

"I... I have feelings for you, Y/N," he confessed, his voice barely above a whisper. "But I know I can't compete with Sanji. He's... he's everything I'm not – charming, confident, and... and he can cook."

Y/N's expression softened, and she reached out to gently squeeze Usopp's hand. "Usopp, you don't have to compete with anyone. I like you just the way you are."

Usopp's eyes widened in surprise, hope blossoming within him. "Y-You do?"

Y/N nodded, a smile tugging at the corners of her lips. "Yes, I do. But I've been waiting for you to make a move. I thought maybe you weren't interested, so I didn't want to push."

Usopp's heart soared, his doubts melting away in the warmth of Y/N's words. "I'm sorry for being such a coward. I was afraid of getting rejected."

Y/N shook her head, her smile growing wider. "You could never be a coward, Usopp. You're the bravest person I know."

Encouraged by Y/N's support, Usopp felt a surge of confidence coursing through him. Gathering his courage, he reached out and cupped Y/N's cheek, his thumb brushing against her soft skin.

"Y/N, would you... would you like to go out with me?" he asked, his voice trembling slightly.

Y/N's eyes sparkled with happiness as she nodded eagerly. "Yes, Usopp, I'd love to."

And as the sun dipped below the horizon, casting a golden glow over the Thousand Sunny, Usopp and Y/N sat side by side, their hearts entwined in a love that had finally found its way.

————————————————