Chapter 8: Friends

Enigma gave a small whimper and pressed herself further against the cold metal of the desk behind her. Basically, every one of the Autobots had tried to coax her out from under it but all they'd succeeded in was getting her to scoot further away.

Sure most of them were kind and seemed gentle, but she didn't want to trust them.

And Chromia had herded the other three sparklings away so she was now alone.

She curled in on herself more when her tanks rumbled, reminding her of how long ago she'd last refueled. Hours had passed and Optimus still hadn't returned, apparently out with his sparkmate, Elita-1.

She'd heard stories from the drones and other cons about the two on the battlefield and that just made her very sure she did NOT want to meet them.

The lighting was low in the room now and the only sound was Ratchet occasionally walking around. Her helm shot up when there was the sound of soft patters on the floors, occasionally stopping before starting up again, each time getting closer to her little hiding space. She released her appendages from the ports on her chassis and raised up in warning to whoever was coming.

However, they dropped slightly when she saw the flash of white and red plating and was met with a cheery smile and bright blue optics looking at her. "Scoot over," Jetfire whispered as he crawled in and sat down next to her.

The little femme didn't say anything as she moved and repositioned himself so he could sit comfortably due to his large wings.

"Why are you here?" The words tumbled out of her mouth before she could even think about saying them, her optic wide with shock.

Jetfire held on digit up to his lips, telling her to speak quietly, "I'm not supposed to be here," He said softly with a grin, "But I didn't think it was fair we got to sleep on comfy berths while you were left all alone here with Hatchet."

"Hatchet?" She asked, tilting her helm. The white mechling pointed at the medic as he walked past, "Roddy named him that," He explained, "And it's kind of stuck despite what doc said."

Enigma let a small smile come onto her lips. The grin on his face felt contagious like she couldn't help but show some emotion when she looked at it.

"Here," The other sparkling said, fishing a piece of black fabric out of a compartment on his side and giving it to her, "I managed to get this back. I figured you'd want it."

She looked at it and carefully took it, "Thanks," She smiled and put it into her subspace, not quite feeling like wearing it just yet.

"Oh, I also wanted to ask you," Jetfire said and leaned forward happily, "Do you wanna be friends?"

Enigma looked at him and blinked, thinking she'd just imagined him saying that, "What?" She said quietly.

"Friends," He grinned, "I wanna be friends with you. You seem like a cool person. And before you say it, no I do not care if you're a con."

Her mouth hung open as she looked at him, unsure of what to say. On one hand, he was an Autobot and she didn't even want to think her brother or the others would say if they found out. But on the other hand, she didn't have any friends anywhere close to her age and her spark yearned for that.

"Ok," The turquoise femme eventually said and smiled, "Let's be friends."

He gave a quiet cheer and hugged her despite the fact she flinched a bit, feeling uncomfortable being touched. Thankfully, he quickly let go and looked at her excitedly.

"This means nicknames now," Jetfire said, "I chose yours and you chose mine, how does that sound? It can be anything, like how we call Hot Rod, Roddy, and Bumblebee, Bee."