Chapter 7: Enemies

'I'm sorry sir, but we can't do anything about it until we get a proper medic in.' 

Useless drones

Soundwave gripped the table he was sitting in front of, staring at the numbers that flashed past him on the computer screen. The words rang through his helm, over and over, reminding him how much he had failed.

He looked down to his lap where Enigma was, leaning back against him and snoring softly while hugging one of his tentacles and her little sword.

Yet he frowned and reached down, gently rubbing and turning her helm up without waking her, exposing her face which was now dent-free, but her left optic was covered in a sheet of metal to resemble an eyepatch.

Of course, they didn't have the resources or the proper bots on this ship to fix it. It could even be years until she could see out of it again and then she'd have to readjust to that again. It was already hard enough it had taken her months to adjust to only seeing through one eye, especially when fighting, and that was over a year ago.

He let out a sigh and gently lowered her helm back down to rest on his arm, watching her mumble a bit and shift before settling back down. His little sister didn't deserve this, especially at such a young age.

Ravage hopped up onto the table and lay down, looking at her and then back up to his master.

'Soundwave: Alright. Worried: About Enigma.'

He didn't want to admit he was worried that something would happen. It had been almost a year and a half and there had been so few attacks, all of which he was able to protect his sister. But there was word of new Autobots having arrived and that troubled him. The short times he'd had to leave her behind with someone else were going to start becoming unavoidable and he hated to say it, but Enigma was also growing up. 

She was getting more adventurous as she regained her confidence and more than once had gone wandering off away from her caretaker. He didn't blame her considering how long she was cooped up on the ship but it was evident in her height and attitude that she was no longer a little sparkling.

'Sir?'

Soundwave turned and looked at the drone behind him. 'Oh, sorry to disturb you but, there's been another raid, this one's really bad,' The vehicon said, 'They've already taken a third of the mine and there have been reports that there is now a blue femme named Chromia and another mech called Ironhide with them and...' He leaned down and lowered his voice to a whisper, 'Rumors they have younglings as well.'

The navy mech was silent for a bit before he gave a muted sigh and stood, calling Astrotrain over. 'Duty: Take care of Enigma,' He said, handing the sleeping femme to him. Luckily it seemed that this was the only mech she'd yet to run away from.

'Understood boss,' He grinned, tucking her into the crook of his arm and making her look so tiny in comparison. Soundwave gave a single nod and stood for a few seconds before he finally went out after the drone.

Astrotrain sat down at his desk and continued plotting the ship's navigation course, looking down at the small femme now and then and gently rubbing her helm with his thumb since she was so little.

Minutes passed by and he soon took her example and closed his optics, drifting off into sleep. Unfortunately, Enigma chose the same time to yawn and wake up, sitting up and looking around as she rubbed her optics. She looked up at Astrotrain and then chirped, frowning when he didn't stir.

Only to then smile and scribble, 'Be right back,' On a datapad, leaving it in his arms where she'd just been and giggling, climbing down to the floor and landing lightly. Taking after her brother, she took off running, making barely any noise. She quickly crawled into the vents and made her way down them to avoid any drones or bots that would take her back.