A Strange Encounter

The shrill of the alarm clock yanked Taehyung from sleep. A shiver ran down his spine despite the morning warmth. He shuffled to the bathroom, catching a glimpse of his puffy, red-rimmed eyes in the mirror. Memories of yesterday's encounter flickered through his mind, a knot tightening in his stomach.

Brushing his teeth, he forced a smile as he entered the kitchen. His grandma, her face etched with worry lines despite her ever-present smile, was flipping an omelet.

"Good morning, Tete," she greeted, her voice laced with concern. "Is everything alright at school?"

Taehyung forced another smile, his usual facade. "Don't worry, Grandma. Everything's fine." He shoveled a bite of the omelet into his mouth, hoping his lie tasted convincing.

His grandma's gaze lingered on him. "Any new friends?" she prodded gently.

Taehyung's mind drifted back to the surprise encounter with Jeon Jungkook. A flicker of hope sparked within him, but years of bullying had built high walls around his heart.

"Maybe," he mumbled, the word barely audible.

"That's wonderful, Tete!" His grandma beamed.

Fueled by a sliver of hope, Taehyung hurried through his morning routine. He wasn't late, not anymore. Yet, a familiar dread gnawed at him as he approached his classroom.

His heart lurched. A new boy was hunched over his desk, fiddling with something. Fear, a primal instinct, coiled in his gut. Was this another one of Minseok's goons, another tormentor?

Taehyung clenched his fists, his steps faltering. But as he drew closer, he realized it wasn't his desk – it was Jeon Jungkook's. Relief washed over him, tinged with a sliver of curiosity about the newcomer.

The boy whirled around, his eyes widening in surprise. "Wow, you're here early!" he exclaimed, taking in Taehyung's appearance, particularly his mullet hairstyle.

"I'm Kim Yejun." He said, smiling.

Taehyung, speechless for a moment, stammered, "I'm... I'm Kim Tae..."

"I know, Tete." The boy interrupted, a sly grin spreading across his face.

The world seemed to tilt on its axis. Taehyung's breath hitched. 'Tete?' – the nickname his bullies used to taunt him. A cold dread seeped into his bones. Was this a new kind of torment?

"I brought Jeon's bag," he continued, oblivious to Taehyung's shock. "He has basketball practice, so tell the teacher if he asks."

He tossed the bag onto Jungkook's desk and sauntered out of the classroom, leaving Taehyung rooted to the spot, his heart pounding against his ribs. This year, he thought bleakly, might be no different after all.

The empty seat mocked Taehyung throughout the morning. Jungkook was absent, and lunchtime loomed – a solitary affair Taehyung had grown accustomed to. The cafeteria buzzed with groups, an alien world he didn't dare enter.

Seeking refuge, he approached the rooftop door, Taehyung noticed a room near the rooftop door, standing open. Curiosity piqued, he peeked inside – a clean, empty room. Hesitation gnawed at him, but before he could decide, a shove sent him tumbling in.

"Planning on leaving? Then leave, but don't block the door," a voice laced with sarcasm greeted him.

Taehyung spun around to find Jeon Jungkook leaning against a desk. Panic surged. "S-sorry, I'll leave," he stammered, scrambling to his feet.

A hand clamped onto his wrist. "Who said you could leave? Eat. Here."

Taehyung found himself seated opposite him, the Kimbap in his hands turning to lead under Jungkook's unwavering gaze. Every morsel felt heavy, suffocating under the weight of Jungkook's scrutiny.

"Why?" Taehyung finally managed, his voice barely a whisper.

Jungkook shrugged, feigning boredom. "Nothing to eat at home? You look like a twig."

Taehyung's throat constricted. He didn't know how to respond to this unexpected concern, laced with a hint of... was it teasing?

"Eat." Jungkook repeated, his gaze holding a strange intensity.

Taehyung forced himself to swallow, the food a tasteless paste in his mouth. Relief washed over him as he finished the last bite. He rose to leave, but Jungkook's voice stopped him.

"From tomorrow, eat here. And keep this room a secret. Got it?"

The command was laced with a veiled threat, and Taehyung could only nod mutely before fleeing back to class.

The classroom door slammed open
Taehyung flinched. There stood Jungkook, flanked by two others. One was Kim Yejun, the boy from this morning, but the other was a stranger. Taehyung didn't recognize him.

They made their way to their seats, a low murmur passing between them. Jungkook settled into his seat, pointedly avoiding Taehyung's gaze. The silence was heavy, amplifying Taehyung's confusion and apprehension.

The afternoon lessons were a blur. As the bell rang, he shoved his books into his bag, desperate to escape the suffocating school walls. A bump from behind sent his heart leaping into his throat.

"See you tomorrow," a voice whispered in his ear – Jungkook's voice.

Taehyung whirled around, but Jungkook had already disappeared into the throng of students, leaving him with a pounding heart and a mind reeling with questions. What did Jungkook want? And why did he feel a sliver of hope pierce through the shield of fear he'd built around himself?

•─────⋅🥢⋅─────•