Under the Storm

Exhausted, Taehyung trudged into the restaurant. Dark circles under his eyes showed how tired he was. His grandma's health and the surgery costs gnawed at him.

At lunchtime, Taehyung found slumped in a quiet corner of the kitchen's backroom, his head buried in his hands. The sound of the door opening startled him. He can't deal with Jungkook right now.

A throat cleared behind him. Lifting his head, he saw the new manager, Cha Choo Hee.

Taehyung stood up hastily. "Yes?"

The new manager observed his face. "Have you had lunch yet?"

Taehyung felt a flush creep up his neck and mumbled, "I, uh, was just about to..."

"You look exhausted," the manager said gently. "Have lunch with me." He added sheepishly, "I haven't eaten either. If you're comfortable, of course."

Taehyung was taken aback. Having lunch with someone... a memory flickered him, 8 years ago... he pushed it away immediately. He didn't want to remember the past. He hesitated, about to say, "Manager Cha..."

The manager interrupted him with a smile. "Call me Cho Hee. Please, feel free to relax around me."

The sincerity in the manager's voice made it difficult for Taehyung to refuse. He followed the manager to the break room.

Entering the backroom, Taehyung felt all eyes tyrn towards him and the manager. He rarely ate there. Self-conscious under their curious stares and hushed whispers, he settled into a corner table, bracing himself for the inevitable rumors.

Sensing Taehyung's discomfort, Cho Hee initiated the conversation to lighten the mood. He asked about Taehyung. He learned Taehyung was older and used "hyung" jokingly. He also requested to exchange numbers, mentioning he had everyone's numbers. Taehyung hesitated, but he gave him anyway. The new manager was friendly.

The day eventually passed.

-

Taehyung glanced up at the sky. The wind howled, and dark clouds threatened rain. He cursed under his breath, realizing he'd forgotten to check the weather and was without an umbrella.

He hurried to the bus stop, shivering in the growing chill.

A voice called out, "Taehyung!"

He recognized it instantly. Ignoring the voice behind him, he walked to the bus stop.

"Taehyung, please let me give you a ride," Jungkook pleaded, coming closer.

Taehyung knew; fewer buses ran during heavy rain. A sighed escape his lips as he realized he had to walk tonight.

"Taehyung, I know you're thinking of walking home," Jungkook said, meeting Taehyung's gaze, "and I also know you don't want to be with me. But please, I'm worried..."

"Jungkook," Taehyung said finally, taking a deep breath. "If you knew that, then why do you keep following me? It's been years... Jungkook." His voice held a mix of frustration and weariness.

A sudden flash of lightning illuminated the sky. Raindrops began to fall. Taehyung glanced up at the dark sky and started walking without looking back.

Jungkook's voice rose in a desperate plea. "Taehyung, please! I need to talk to you. I'm so sorry. Just give me a chance to explain."

Taehyung shook his head firmly. "No. no..."

"Please, it's going to rain hard! Let me take you home," Jungkook pressed, his voice laced with urgency.

"Taehyung! Please stop!" Jungkook shouted behind him, then ran towards Taehyung.

Tonight's rain poured heavily.

Jungkook grabbed Taehyung's wrists, stopping him in his tracks. Taehyung fought to break free.

"Jungkook, why are you forcing me? Leave me alone!" Taehyung shouted, rain soaking his clothes.

"I'm sorry, but you're coming with me. I'll take you home," Jungkook said, frustration lacing his voice. He then dragged Taehyung towards his car parked near the restaurant lot.

Taehyung struggled, but Jungkook was stronger. He shoved Taehyung into the car, put seatbelt, and the door slammed shut and locked. Jungkook, noticing Taehyung shivering from cold and rain, quickly turned on the heater before starting the engine.

"What do you want from me now? What did I ever do to you?!" Taehyung demanded, tears streaming down his face.

"Taehyung..."

Jungkook started to speak, but Taehyung cut him off. "Why did you come back into my life? Why can't you just let me live in peace? You..." Taehyung choked back a sob, unable to finish his sentence. Burying his head in his hands, Taehyung muttered, "I hate you... I hate you so much..."

Jungkook whispered, "I know..."

The drive to Taehyung's home was almost silent, broken only by the drumming of heavy rain on the car and Taehyung's occasional sniffle.

Gazing out the window, Taehyung realized he was once again in Jungkook's car. He'd almost managed to forget Jungkook, but fate, it seemed, had other plans.

The car lurched to a stop, and the door unlocked with a soft click. Jungkook turned to Taehyung, his voice pleading. "Taehyung, please... give me a chance to explain."

Taehyung met Jungkook's gaze. "Tonight," he said, his voice firm, "is our last meeting. I never want to see you around me again. Goodbye." With that, he unbuckled his seatbelt, flung open the car door, and stepped out into the rain, heading towards his home.

"Taehyung!" Jungkook scrambled out of the car after him, calling his name. "Listen to me!"

Taehyung turned back to face Jungkook, who approached him. Both were soaked from the relentless rain. "I... I know you hate me," Jungkook began desperately, "and you have every right to. But please, listen to me."

Taehyung glanced at him, his eyelids heavy with exhaustion. "Okay... okay."