Debts and Desires

Worry etched on his face, Taehyung clasped his grandma's hand. "There was a call from the hospital," he said, his voice thick with concern. "Are you okay? What happened?"

His grandma offered him a reassuring smile. "Don't worry, Tete, I'm fine now. When I woke up, I was here in the hospital. You weren't around, but there was a doctor and a young man in a suit with me." She stroked his cheek gently. "The doctor said you're admitted here too. How are you feeling?"

Taehyung closed his eyes briefly, piecing things together. The young man in the suit must have been the one who brought him the porridge. "Just a little fever," he whispered, forcing a smile. Relief washed over him, knowing his grandma was okay.

"That's good to hear, Tete. You know, I was worried for a moment about who would take care of you," his grandma confessed. "But the doctor said Jungkook was here."

Taehyung's expression hardened at the mention of Jungkook's name.

Emerging from his conversation with his grandma, Taehyung needed to confront Jungkook. He flung open the door to find Jungkook seated there, who stood up upon seeing him.

"Jungkook," Taehyung began, his eyes locked on Jungkook's. "Who authorized you to bring my grandma here?"

"Taehyung..." Jungkook stammered.

"Don't 'Taehyung' me," Taehyung cut him off, his voice icy. "Do you think I'm indebted to you for putting my grandma in a fancy hospital? That I'll be eternally grateful and fawn over you? Did you think I couldn't handle the bills?" His words were laced with anger, his eyes burning red, and his hands shaking.

"That's not it at all," Jungkook defended himself, raising his voice slightly. "You fainted, and when I checked who called, it was the hospital. They said your grandma was in pain."

"Then why did you bring her here?" Taehyung demanded, grabbing Jungkook's collar.

Jungkook grasped Taehyung's hands. "I inquired about your grandma's condition. They said it was serious, and I... well, I wanted to help. They mentioned the surgery might be risky, so..." He stammered, his gaze meeting Taehyung's. "That's why I transferred her here. This place has the best doctors. I know I should've asked you first, but you were unconscious. I'm sorry."

Taehyung stepped back, tears welling up in his eyes. "I don't need your help," he choked out. "I can pay for her bills. I don't need your pity or your money." He shook his head in denial.

"Taehyung, listen," Jungkook pleaded. "It's not about pity. I felt guilty, and... I don't want you to feel alone. I want you to share your worries, problems, and burdens. I want to be there for you, to be the person..." Jungkook inched closer, taking Taehyung's hand in his. He whispered, "the person who will always be by your side."

-

Two days had passed since Taehyung last saw Jungkook. He sat across from Cha Choo Hee, silently eating lunch.

"I was so worried when you fainted, Taehyung," Cha Choo Hee said, his voice laced with concern. "You know you can take a break when you're tired."

Taehyung simply nodded, his mind preoccupied.

"Thankfully, Mr. Jeon was there that day."

Taehyung glanced at the manager, a sigh escaping his lips. Jeon Jungkook, the one he'd tried to erase from his life, had stormed back like a hurricane, making everything complex again.

Taehyung checked his watch: 9:30 PM. He was relieved the restaurant was back to closing at 9. He rummaged under the table and found the business card, the number practically memorized at this point. Dialing it, he braced himself.

The next day after the hospital, Jungkook had dropped him off at home, his voice soft as he said, "Think about what I said. You don't owe me anything. I'll give you some space."

True to his word, Jungkook had vanished, giving Taehyung room to breathe.

"Hello." A familiar voice answered.

"I'm... I'm Taehyung," he stammered.

"I know. How are you?" Jungkook inquired.

Surprised by how easily Jungkook recognized him. He wondered how Jungkook had gotten his number.

"Good. Can we meet on Sunday?" Taehyung blurted out.

"I'll pick you up from your house at six o'clock."

The call ended abruptly. Taehyung stared at the card, a mix of emotions swirling within him. He then tucked it away in the drawer, his gaze falling on the hanger beside it. The expensive clothes Jungkook had lent him in the hospital hung there. He hadn't been able to refuse - his only other option was going home in his work uniform.

-

Jungkook arrived early, picking Taehyung up at 5:45. An awkward silence hung heavy in the air between them.

"Where are we going?" Taehyung finally asked, breaking the tension.

Jungkook, eyes fixed on the road, replied, "There's a beautiful park near where I live. I thought you'd like it."

The park was indeed stunning, a testament to human design. They had arrived a few minutes ago, and Jungkook had disappeared briefly, telling Taehyung to wait on a bench.

"Here you go." Taehyung looked up to see Jungkook offering him a sweet drink. He took it, and Jungkook sat down beside him. Taehyung sipped the drink, its sweetness a stark contrast to the turmoil within him. He wanted to talk about his grandma, but his gaze collided with Jungkook's. There was a glint in Jungkook's eyes that Taehyung couldn't decipher.

Clearing his throat, Taehyung caught Jungkook blinking, momentarily breaking the eye contact. "I'll pay you back," he blurted out.

Jungkook seemed ready to speak, but Taehyung rushed on, "I don't want to owe you anything."

"Taehyung, you don't owe me anything," Jungkook said firmly, making his intentions clear. "I don't want your money."

"No, Jungkook. I will pay you back," Taehyung insisted. "Even if it takes years, with interest if you want."

"Alright," Jungkook stood up, his gaze unwavering. "If you want to pay me back, then pay me. I won't stop you. But it won't be with money."

Taehyung, completely bewildered, blurted out, "What?"

Jungkook's voice held a hint of something dark as he spoke the next words, sending shivers down Taehyung's spine. "Wishes. Three wishes. You can pay me back with three wishes."