Eight Years

Eight years.

The weight of that time settled heavily on Taehyung's shoulders as a jumble of thoughts flooded his mind. The kitchen bustled with activity - the clatter of pans, the hiss of searing meat, the rhythmic chopping of vegetables. It was all in preparation for the welcome party of the new manager, organized at Mrs. Choi's request. She'd specifically requested the kitchen staff showcase their signature dishes for this esteemed guest.

Taehyung stood amidst the controlled chaos, his hands trembling as he meticulously prepared a dish the executive chef had entrusted to him. Each measured movement, each sprinkle of spice, was a desperate attempt to steady himself. He took a deep breath, the air thick with anticipation and something he couldn't quite define.

Then it hit him. Eight years later, he was face-to-face with Jeon Jungkook.

He couldn't meet Jungkook's gaze. Their past remained at a distance, their focus on the present task a welcome distraction. Thankfully, the meeting was over.

He clung to the hope that Jungkook would forget him. Years had passed. 'I hope he doesn't remember me,' Taehyung thought anxiously.

With the dishes finally finished, the waiters whisked away the plates to serve the guests. Exhausted, Taehyung longed for a breath of fresh air. It was their lunch break as well.

He exited through the kitchen's back door and took a deep swig from his giant bottle of yogurt drink. "Ugh," Taehyung sighed, weariness heavy on his shoulders. He slumped down onto the floor.

"Who drinks that for lunch?"

A familiar voice sent his heart into overdrive. He wished it was just a dream.

"I'll have them bring you some real food," the voice sighed.

Taehyung slowly lifted his head to meet the gaze of Jeon Jungkook. His breath caught in his throat. 'Should I leave?' he thought frantically.

A hand reached out towards his face. He assumed Jungkook meant to help him stand, but Taehyung darted his eyes around, searching for an escape route. He ignored the hand, scrambling to his feet and attempting to bolt. Jungkook, however, was faster. He grabbed Taehyung's arm and guided him back towards the kitchen, requesting proper food from the servers.

Taehyung stared at Jungkook, his confusion growing. 'What does he want from me now?' he thought.

Jungkook glanced at him. "I probably should get going," he said. "They're expecting me." He paused near the kitchen door. "Wait for me," he instructed before disappearing.

Taehyung finished work, changed his clothes, and headed outside, ready to leave.

Jungkook's voice calling out, "Wait for me!" made Taehyung laugh. He'd almost forgotten - that was a good thing. He didn't want to wait anymore.

As Taehyung was walking home, a car honked. It was a black car with tinted windows. The car honked again, causing Taehyung to stop in his tracks. The window rolled down, revealing Jungkook inside.

"Come inside," Jungkook said.

Without a word, Taehyung started walking again, quickening his pace. He heard the car door slam shut.

"Taehyung! Stop!" Jungkook shouted, but Taehyung ignored him.

"Taehyung?" Jungkook called again, a hint of frustration in his voice.

Suddenly, Jungkook grabbed Taehyung's shoulder and pulled him aside. Taehyung struggled to break free. Passersby started looking at the commotion, making Taehyung feel embarrassed. Despite this, Jungkook seemed unconcerned.

"Please, what do you want?" Taehyung whispered, uncomfortable under the watchful eyes of strangers.

"Let's talk," Jungkook replied, and before Taehyung could protest, he was practically dragged towards the car.

The car started, and Taehyung looked at Jungkook with confusion, seeking answers. But Jungkook remained silent, focused on driving.

Taehyung stole a glance at his face. Jungkook wore an expensive suit, his expression serious. Jungkook suddenly looked at him, and Taehyung, feeling self-conscious, looked away towards the window.

"Now talk," Taehyung mumbled, avoiding eye contact.

"I came back to Seoul a few days ago," Jungkook said, his gaze fixed on the road ahead.

"Okay, good to know," Taehyung said, his voice laced with sarcasm. "Now drop me off here."

Jungkook ignored him, continuing to drive.

Frustration bubbled over. "What do you want from me now?" Taehyung shouted. The unanswered question gnawed at him. Was Jungkook trying to humiliate him?

"I'll take you home," Jungkook said without looking at him.

"How do you know where I live?" Taehyung blurted out. A cynical laugh escaped his lips. "Why even ask?" He felt a familiar throbbing pain in his head. It seemed like Jungkook hadn't changed a bit.

Jungkook pulled the car to a stop right in front of Taehyung's place. Without a moment's hesitation, Taehyung flung open the door and bolted towards his apartment building. But Jungkook was faster. He caught up to Taehyung and wrapped him in a tight hug.

"Missed you, Tete," Jungkook murmured against Taehyung's neck.

Taehyung froze, the unexpected contact sending a jolt through him. He wrestled against Jungkook's hold, the old resentment flaring back to life. Not anymore, he thought fiercely.

Jungkook reluctantly released him. Fury contorted Taehyung's face as he raised a hand and slapped Jungkook across the cheek. The force of the blow sent Jungkook's head snapping to the side. He slowly turned back to face Taehyung, a bewildered expression on his face.

"Leave me alone," Taehyung spat, his voice laced with raw emotion.

He didn't wait for a response, turning and racing towards his apartment.

Behind him, he could hear Jungkook faintly call out, "Call me." But Taehyung ignored him.

A few minutes later, the sound of a car engine faded into the night, leaving an unsettling silence in its wake.

Taehyung slumped down against his apartment door, tears welling up in his eyes once more. "Why?" he cried out silently. 'Why did he have to come back?' The pain he'd thought was finally healing had been ripped open all over again.