Silent Tears, Heavy Heart

For many days, Jungkook continued to follow Taehyung. He no longer tried to force him into the car, but he'd still offer a ride with a casual, "Can I drop you?" Taehyung would simply ignore him. He also kept following Taehyung on the bus. Every night, as Taehyung disembarked from the bus, Jungkook would softly say to him, "Good night," which was always ignored by Taehyung.

Jungkook constantly tried to talk to him. He was always sniffling from a cold. He continued to ask him questions: "How was your day?" "Can we talk?" "I'm sorry, Tete."

The apologies were the worst. They reopened Taehyung's old wounds, reigniting his anger. One time, Jungkook asked him with concern, "What happened to your right ankle?"

Unable to hold back any longer, Taehyung stopped abruptly when Jungkook asked this. His voice was tight with fury. "It's none of your business! And stop following me!"

All Taehyung craved was a single day of peace. Everything had spiraled out of control since the incident with the old manager, Mr. Park.

-

Sleep eluded Taehyung, even though his eyes were wide open. His mind was a whirlwind of thoughts. Should he look for another restaurant job? He definitely needed a better one, with higher pay. But finding a new position would take time.

Lost in thought, Taehyung suddenly recalled what had happened earlier that day. Jungkook had grabbed his wrist, a tight grip that Taehyung struggled against. Before Taehyung could react, Jungkook had blurted out, "Can we meet tomorrow, please? I really want to talk to you." With pleading eyes, of course, Taehyung had flatly refused. "I'm busy," he'd said.

It was Sunday tomorrow, after all, and he was indeed busy. He'd already planned a visit with his grandma. He pushed thoughts of Jungkook away, focusing on getting some sleep. Tomorrow, he'd see his grandma, and hopefully, that would lift his spirits. He crossed his heart, desperately hoping for a better day.

The next day, Taehyung plastered a smile on his face and headed to the hospital. He hadn't forgotten his usual gift - a bouquet of sunflowers. He cooked dishes for his grandma, Kimchi Stew, Cold Soy Noodle Soup, and Braised Tofu, hoping to bring a bit of sunshine to her day.

Arriving at the hospital around noon, Taehyung found his grandma peacefully asleep. He decided not to disturb her, planning to wake her up in about fifteen minutes. As he approached a table to place the sunflowers in a vase, his smile faltered. A vibrant bouquet of sunflowers already occupied the space. Today, he was determined to find the answer. He'd ask the nurse if she knew who kept sending his grandma flowers - the lack of a card adding another layer of mystery.

His gaze drifted back to his grandma. Though peaceful, she appeared paler than during his last visit. He knew his grandma's recent diagnosis of Aortic Stenosis was serious. The doctor had mentioned a minimally invasive procedure to replace the valve. Concern gnawed at him as he noticed the IV drip feeding into her arm. Silently, he sat beside her, his hand reaching out to clasp hers. Tears welled up in his eyes, threatening to spill over.

A voice cut through the quiet. "Mr. Kim," the doctor said from the doorway, "I need to talk to you."

"Yes, Doctor," Taehyung responded, quickly wiping away his tears as he stood up.

"Mr. Kim, your grandmother's condition will worsen and become life-threatening if she doesn't undergo immediate surgery. We're recommending open-heart surgery," the doctor explained with a serious and professional demeanor.

Taehyung's heart skipped a beat. "Life-threatening?" he stammered, his voice thick with emotion.

"Please, save her," Taehyung pleaded, his voice cracking. Tears welled up in his eyes, and his body trembled. The thought of losing his grandma was unbearable.