Chapter Two - Symptoms

Emil was awoken with a children's sized book thrown directly at his face, and a girly-like scream.

"Calm down, sis!" Emil groaned, slowly coming to his senses of reality. "I'll get the damn bug, just quit screaming and throwing things at me!" He rubbed his face and opened his eyes, only to see Jason in front of him, standing and looking absolutely pissed.

It only took him a few seconds to remember what had happened the night before. He'd desperately hoped to wake up first rather than Jason to avoid this very type of situation. 

"That book hurt, you know."

"Why was I asleep in your arms? Why are you still here? Why are you in my room?" Jason asked rapidly.

"Those questions are asked out of order. Stop screaming at me like my younger sister! It sounds annoying."

"Answer me!"

Emil sighed as he rubbed his nose, which surprisingly wasn't bleeding for being smacked with a book. "You had a panic attack last night, and passed out in my arms when I was trying to calm you down. I didn't want to leave you since your mother was sleeping, so I stayed with you in case something else would have possibly happened."

Jason was moments away from hitting Emil with another book that was thicker than the last one before he remembered something rather important. 

"I forgot to take my pills that night; for my anxiety. I'm pretty shocked you did that for me, actually, thank you."

"Well, I'm not heartless." 

Feeling hot with embarrassment, Jason had quickly changed the subject. "What about school?"

"Our mothers called today off. I guess your mother saw us and cancelled, then called my own mother and she cancelled it for me as well." 

"She probably thinks I'm gay after seeing me with you!" Jason whined, hiding his face with both of his hands.

"Just assure her you're not?"

Jason said nothing, and Emil only started.

"Are you?"

"No."

"You hesitated."

"I'm not!"

"Okay, okay!"

"So, when are you going to leave my house?"

Emil flinched, staring at Jason, then rolled his eyes. "Are you that desperate?"

"For you to leave? Yeah."

"Fine, fine." He muttered, heaving himself up from the floor. He messed with his hair a bit, too, relieving himself of a bit of dirt from the floor. "Your carpet's a mess..."

"Do I care?" Jason rolled his eyes. "Get out."

"You do realize I'll be here in a few hours, right?"

"Yesterday was our last day."

Emil felt himself flinching, and sighed, rubbing his nose bridge. "Right, I forgot."

As he left, Jason sat down on his bed, his mind whirling with thoughts. Why'd he seem so disappointed? When I reminded him, he didn't seem so confident anymore. Like I crushed his dreams, or something. He didn't actually enjoy tutoring me, did he? I didn't enjoy it... Did I? No, I didn't, and the whole... 'panic attack' deal. Was that true? A lie? His arms... they were so warm. No, Jason! Dammit!

He quickly laid back on the bed, his face shaded with a bright red. What were those thoughts just now? He wasn't gay, he'd insisted he wasn't. Even if he were gay, he'd know much better than to fall in love with his enemy, of all people. 

Jason sat up from his bed once again.

Surely he wasn't that stupid, right?

Right?

He didn't know anymore. Every two minutes the thought of him being in Emil's arms would flash back into his head. He hadn't admitted it, because who would but he knew it was Emil when he woke up -- he chose to stay with him for a few minutes. 

Shit, maybe I am gay! 

He was now fidgeting with his fingers and bouncing his legs against the floor. He couldn't believe it. First, he was gay, and second, he was gay for his enemy? Emil wouldn't even like him! There was no way, Emil hated him. 

Jason groaned and laid back against his bed for the final time, letting out a deep sigh. What is this, forbidden love, or something? No, more like impossible love. Fucking hell. Why is he my first crush? Why him? Why?

Jason was on the near verge of tears before his mother had knocked on his closed door from the other side. "Jason, dear? Are you alright?"

"Yeah, ma! Just don't come in!" His voice had cracked, as tears started to fall down his cheeks and stained them. He considered himself as pathetic for wanting Emil to be there to comfort him right now. 

"Emil left his book, can he come in?"

Confused, Jason looked around his room on the floor, but had seen no book around. "Uh, sure?"

Emil walked in seconds later, staring at Jason. "You're crying, homeboy."

"And you're lying." Jason sniffed, wiping his face.

"Who's to say I'm lying?" Emil laughed, sitting on the floor.

"It's been thirty minutes, and you couldn't last without me?"

"More like you missed me. Lookit you. You stopped crying now that I'm here."

Jason went red not of embarrassment, but of flusteredness. "Whatever..."

"Ha! You're embarrassed!"

"Yeah, yeah! Sure!"

Emil laughed once more and sat more back. "You know about our fallout, and how your mother saw it as stupid?"

"Yeah? What about it?"

"It was stupid. We hated each other for so long, we even dreaded the tutoring." 

"What are you going at?"

"I'm saying we have no reason to hate each other. Do we?"

"I guess not..." 

Then there was silence for a few moments before Jason broke it.

"Friends?"

Emil flinched and looked at him. "What?"

"Friends?" He repeated, going a bit red.

"Sure!"

Jason smiled, but then quickly stopped. "Cool."

"No way you just said that."

"Maybe so."

"Loser..."

"Uh, rude!" 

Jason rubbed his face and entirely hid the fact he was happy. Emil didn't hate him! Maybe he had a chance with him after all!

Take it slow... we're only friends, after all. 

__

End of Chapter Two 

Total word count: 950