𝟎𝟐

╔══════════════════╗
𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐆𝐋𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐑 𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎

╔══════════════════╗𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐆𝐋𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐑 𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎

╚══════════════════╝

"𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐒𝐄𝐄𝐌𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄𝐅𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐍𝐃 chuck quickly." alby spoke as the pair walked across the glade. the afternoon sun beamed down, placing a yellow glow across the fields.

"he seems like a good kid." the girl replied truthfully. "slightly energetic but he's quite sweet."

alby nodded in agreement. "he is a good kid. he just gets on our nerves a lot, he doesn't know when to stop talking and many of the boys don't have a lot of patience."

"why can't i remember anything?" she blurted out her voice laced with anxiety, desperate for answers.

the girl started fidgeting with her fingers and her eyes became watery. "relax." alby spoke sitting down on one of the benches hoping she'd sit but she stayed on her feet. "it happens to all of us. our names are the only thing they let us have for ourselves. the only thing they'll let you remember."

"but why? who's they?"

alby shook his head, a slight look of sadness on his face. "that's one thing we don't know. who are they and why they put us here. once a month the box," alby pointed to the box in the middle of the glade. "provides us with whatever we need, also a new greenie. this month that was you."

"so we're just stuck here?" her eyes lingered on the boy examining his expression, not giving her much hope.

"we've been trying to get through the maze everyday but the path changes every night." alby spoke, filling her in with everything she needed to know. "only runners can go out there, that's one rule we have."

"runners? maze?"

the boy nodded, standing up but avoiding the question. "come on, i need to show you where everything is." the girl followed alby to a large barn, a horrible smell filled her nose. "this is the blood house, pretty much where livestock is raised and slaughtered. dead heads over there-" alby pointed to what seemed to be a small forest. "it's the graveyard."

the girls eyes went wide for a split second when he mentioned the word graveyard. alby walked towards a grassy area where there were many plants and vines. "this is the gardens, it's where we grow our food and get our source of water. some of the guys sleep here in hammocks since the homestead is for leaders and keepers." alby explained to her that the homestead also contained the kitchen. there was also some sort of jail called the slammer, and the gathering hall in the corner of the glade where they had previously been.