𝟏𝟕

୨⎯chapter seventeen, optimism

୨⎯chapter seventeen, optimism.⎯୧
⋅˚₊‧ ୨୧ ‧₊˚ ⋅

"𝐌𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐋𝐘𝐍!" 𝐍𝐄𝐖𝐓𝐒 𝐒𝐂𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐌 𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐇𝐓 her back to unbearable reality. the last thing she saw was newts terrified face and multiple gladers holding him back from breaking a rule. she felt herself begin to panic once she fully realised what she had done. but it was too late to turn back now, the walls were tightening on her and the only way accessible to her was the maze. thomas's hand yanked her out.

madelyn stumbled, her mouth hung agape as she took in the painful sight that surrounded her. her knees barely held her up as her breath hitched in her throat. she could physically feel the burning regret in her chest, especially when she knew what was to come of her and how the boy on the other side of the walls would feel. the boy she would never get to fulfill the love she had for him. it was all gone now. no one ever survived a night in the maze that meant she sure wouldn't.

madelyn pulled her hand that was still loosely connected to thomas's clammy one. before the boy could react he was quickly brought back to reality by madelyn shoving him harshly into the stone wall. she threw hits at his chest as she yelled.

"we're dead!" her furious voice echoed in his ears, but it seemed to go in one ear and out the other. "i tried to pull you back! and, and you pulled me in instead!?" her tone was threatening. "i'm going to kill you, you stupid shank!" her voice trembled slightly as frustration ran through her veins.

thomas watched in surprise as he allowed the girl to hit him. he had never witnessed so much anger coming from her before. madelyn wasn't like the girl in his dreams, she was tough and belligerent. but then again, she'd been surrounded by men for more than a month with barely any recollection of her life before the glade.

"good job." minho panted as he raised from the ground, his pain deepening knowing madelyn was with them. "you just killed yourselves."

"w-what?" thomas stuttered, frightened and overwhelmed by minho's statement.

"oh my god." madelyn muttered, feeling her chest tighten as she tried to recollect herself. her feet began to carry her to the worn down boy, meeting his pained gaze.

it was an intense understanding between them, they both knew their fates would end the same way tonight. madelyn collapsed down beside minho as thomas stumbled over to alby's unconscious body.

"what happened to him?" thomas stupidly asked.

"what's it look like?" minho's voice was full of rage. "he got stung."

madelyn stared at the ground as she stayed silent, listening into their conversation. she knew she had just ended her own life the second she stepped in here so didn't know what else to do but listen.

"what happened to his head?"

madelyn finally lifted her head and her eyes flickered from alby to minho. "i did what i had to do." minho replied shamefully, not wanting to look over in the girl's direction. suddenly the sound of distant screams from the grievers and the maze switching paths filled their ears. "c'mon." minho mumbled to madelyn as he struggled to stand up.