𝟏𝟗

୨⎯chapter nineteen, safe

୨⎯chapter nineteen, safe.⎯୧
⋅˚₊‧ ୨୧ ‧₊˚ ⋅

𝐌𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐋𝐘𝐍 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐘𝐄𝐃 𝐈𝐍 the same spot to tend her wound, she intended to rest for a few minutes but exhaustion had taken over her and she had fallen asleep. her head shot up as she heard the walls start moving, the entrance was opening. the night had left and daylight was shining on her, she made it through the night. she pushed herself off the ground and knew she wasn't far, all she had to do was to retrace her footsteps, she began to follow the many turns they made before hanging alby up. as she stumbled through the maze she hated how tired and dehydrated she felt, the beaming sun also making her condition worse. madelyn kept going despite all this, she did not want to spend another night in the maze.

she took deep breaths as she continued walking for what felt like hours, doing her best to remember the path they had taken. hope rose in her chest as she realised she had made the turn where they had tied alby up. that meant the boys had probably been able to get out.

she didn't know if to feel good about them getting out or feel betrayed they left her behind. she then realised they probably thought she was dead, her heart hurt at the thought of newts face, at the thought that she could have never seen him again. attempting to push those thoughts away, madelyn kept going, reciting the last few turns they had made in her head. her feet were giving up on her, she wanted to fall to the floor and cry. but she knew she was close so she had to push through it all. hope rose in her chest when she heard a familiar voice.

"stop wasting your time chuck, she's not coming back." justin snarled as he hit the boy on the back of the head. "get back to work."

chuck winced and shook his head in denial. "no, the others have it under control. they said i could wait here for maddy."

"she's dead shuck face!" justin raised his voice. "get it in your small brain!"

"leave me alone!" chuck replied back with a little crack in his voice. "she's not dead!"

justin let out a small chuckle. "whatever man, waste your time."

chuck felt tears form in his eyes as justin walked away. he plummeted down to the ground and sat crisscrossed, tears dropped from his face and onto his lap. he had so much hope for her to be alive. he knew she was, he wouldn't be able to accept the fact if she wasn't.

"chuck?" madelyn's voice bounced off the stone walls when she realised she couldn't hear arguing anymore, maybe she took the wrong turn. madelyn stopped to think it over. it was straight or take a right, she hoped for the best and took the straight path.

chucks head shot up, he thought he was imagining things as he heard a voice from within the maze. the boy slowly stood up, hope rising in his chest. "maddy!" chuck called loud enough for a few of the gladers to hear. the boy jumped in excitement as he spotted the girl turn a corner, a breath of relief rushed out of madelyn's lips as she spotted him.