𝟐𝟏

୨⎯chapter twenty one, promises

୨⎯chapter twenty one, promises.⎯୧
⋅˚₊‧ ୨୧ ‧₊˚ ⋅

𝐀 𝐅𝐄𝐖 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 boys and madelyn were sat on logs around a small fire. madelyn was resting on the floor placed between newts knees as he gently played with her hair, the other boys were loungings casually in quiet conversations. the glade was peaceful, night had fallen and the moon was completely clear in the sky, casting a silver glow over the fields. madelyn and newt sat in a comfortable silence as they observed their friends, finally feeling relaxed for the first time in a few days.

"i want to make a toast." frypan suddenly announced as he stood up from a log, holding his jar up in the air. silence washed over the crowd as everyone turned their attention to the boy, curious of what he wanted to say. "i want to dedicate this night to our leader and our first lady."

madelyn's eyes widened and she felt her cheeks become warm, all eyes seemed to be drawn to her. minho let out a snort from beside her as he attempted to hold in his laughter, knowing stuff like this made the girl nervous.

"it felt like ages but these two finally got together." frypan continued. "newt is one of my best friends and so is maddy. these two are like a match made in heaven, everyone knows they are meant for eachother."

madelyn's eyes couldn't help but glance over to the side where gally was sat, he had his head held in his hands with a disappointed expression. one of the builders beside him nudged him in an attempt to cheer him up.

"both of them have been through a lot, but i believe you two bring out the best in each other. so for tonight we honour maddy and newt getting together and love each other for eternity, congratulations!"

the small crowd erupted in cheers, causing madelyn to shake her head in embarrassment. she leaned her head back on newts lap to get a clear view of his face, a huge grin was plastered on his lips before he lent down and pressed a kiss to her forehead.

after the cheers died down, madelyn's eyes scanned the crowd and landed on a small boy. he had his knees pulled up to his chest as he looked over to the corner of the glade, where the slammer was placed. her eyebrows furrowed as she began to shift from her position from between newts legs, causing him to glance down in confusion.

"i'll be right back." madelyn whispered as she gestured over to the small boy, earning a small nod of understanding from newt.

madelyn climbed over a few of the boy's dangling legs and made her way over to chuck, as she approached his vicinity she placed a gentle hand on his shoulder and sat down beside him. "hey kiddo, what's up?"

chuck lifted his head and gave the girl an unreadable look, but a hint of sadness still remained in his eyes. he hesitated for a second before speaking. "do you think thomas is okay?" he asked quietly.

a small sympathetic smile twitched on madelyn's lips. "i'm sure he's fine chuck, you know thomas, he can take care of himself." she reassured the small boy. chuck gave her a hesitant nod as he glanced back over to the slammer, complete darkness consuming it. madelyn let out a sigh and began to push herself up from the uncomfortable floor. "c'mon, i have an idea."