𝟏𝟔

୨⎯chapter sixteen, panic

୨⎯chapter sixteen, panic.⎯୧
⋅˚₊‧ ୨୧ ‧₊˚ ⋅

"𝐌𝐀𝐃𝐃𝐘!" 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋𝐒 𝐄𝐘𝐄𝐒 snapped opened and was met with the sight of newts worried face staring down at her. "you okay, love?" the british boy asked, concerned for the girl after what happened yesterday. he didn't see her after the banishment, even though he looked for her she was nowhere to be found. he was worried about the effect it had had on her.

madelyn sighed out in relief that what she had dreamt wasn't where she was. it felt so real as if she had been there. the emotions, the place, the people it all felt so familiar to her. she tried to remember it but the faces were now all blurred.

"yeah, yeah, im okay." madelyn mumbled, her voice groggy. she pushed herself upwards, leaning her back against the wall, and rubbed her tired eyes before running her hands through her messy hair in an attempt to tame it. "why are you up so early?" she asked as she noticed the sun beginning to creep through her small window, knowing that the only people awake at this time of hour were runners. her eyes went wide in realisation. "you better not be going in there."

newt shook his head as he placed himself on the end of her bed. "i'm not." he spoke, reassuring the girl who sighed out in relief. "alby is."

madelyn's eyes went wide again, immediately throwing the blanket off her. "alby? no! is that boy crazy? where is he?"

the girl jumped out of her bed, goosebumps ran down her body from the drastic temperature change from the blankets to the bare air in her room. she threw on her shoes ignoring newts attempts of trying to explain. madelyn grabbed one of the blankets from the bed and wrapped it around herself and stormed down the hallway and outside, newt following right behind her.

the girl broke into a sprint once she saw minho and alby waiting at the entrance of the maze, ignoring the pain creeping up her back. both boys spun around as they noticed her, already knowing what was coming for them. "newt!" alby growled as the pair reached them.

the british boy threw his arms up in surrender. "bloody hell it's not my fault she woke up!" madelyn turned around for a split second sending him a glare as he did in fact wake her up.

"are you insane?" madelyn questioned alby who clenched his jaw, though he knew the girl was only looking out for him. "you are not going out there!"

"maddy we'll be back." alby reassured her, placing his hand on her shoulder. "don't worry about me. newt like we said you're in charge. make sure everything goes well, you too madelyn."

madelyn desperately shook her head, she didn't understand the need for them to retrace ben's footsteps. "are you seriously letting him go?" she turned to the blonde boy who gave her a blank look in return. "it doesn't feel right alby! why can't one of the other runners go?"