Chapter 14

After I hung up on Liam my feet seemed to carry me over to his faster. I also couldn't help but look behind me a few times because I felt like I was being followed. I didn't want my father to be chasing after me. I didn't want him anywhere near me or Liam. Liam didn't need to see my father's viciousness up close, which probably doesn't matter because Liam's seen my very own terrible ways. I didn't want Liam and my father around each other because I knew my father would say things that I didn't want to hear him say about Liam. 

In a funny way, I guess I was the one protecting Liam this time. I didn't think I could ever be capable of that. 

When I came closer to Liam's I could see that he was already standing outside. It was a bit different this time, and not just because I was the one who used to waiting outside for him. For some reason when I saw him I felt like I just wanted to stop walking and look at him for a little while. It was just Liam out in the front of his house so I didn't understand what seemed so great about him in my head. 

He wasn't wearing or holding that sweatshirt that he just had to get back from me. I was starting to think that he didn't need it back so badly. I think he just didn't like the fact that I was the one who had it or something. I probably made it worse with the boyfriend comments. 

Thinking of it now, calling Liam out for being who he was was never going to be this great master plan. I was just angry at all sorts of things and thought of the only thing that could make it worse. It would have made Liam hate me and then he'd leave me alone. I wanted Liam to leave me alone. He couldn't help me so I had to give him more reasons to show him why I was not worth the time. 

I still believe that Liam's time with me is just wasted time. He never thinks he gets any further with me because I'm such a stand-off kind of person, but just as my fathers belittling of me, Liam's constant good nature was getting to me and I hide it away until there was no room left to hide much else. 

When Liam saw me approaching he began to walk over to me, his hands crossing against his chest. I could see that his face was a little red and a bruises was starting to form where I hit him. As much as I felt guilty about punching Liam, I knew he was quite glad that he finally got to punch me. That was all right with me because he should feel liberated for finally standing up to a bully. 

I let out a sigh as I looked over Liam, knowing all that I promised that I would tell him. Standing in front of him was a different story because I was suddenly really nervous to talk to him. He wanted me to tell him all of these serious and vulnerable things that I don't ever speak of. He wanted to listen to me being absolutely weak. Nobody ever allowed me to be weak before. 

He spoke first and I think he even noticed that I was relieved.

"Before you say anything, Lou, I want you to know why I was in the office that morning. I spoke on Niall's behalf with the coach." He confessed.

I slowly nodded. That was definitely something that Liam would do for Niall, for anybody. Well, maybe not for me. I wasn't angry with Liam because what was I supposed to expect? He wasn't going to be quite about the bullying this time and he stuck to his word and kept fighting on. 

"How are you?" I asked Liam. I didn't know how to start so maybe exchanging pleasantries was a way to get things going. It was something new to me after all. 

I watched as Liam glanced over to his hand, his fingers uncurling and then curling back into his fist. I noticed that his knuckles were red from that punch he had given to me.

"What," Liam started but then he scoffed in frustration. "What are you doing, Louis? I thought you were coming here because you were finally going to talk to me?"