Chapter 19

When I left my room that next morning, finally feeling like I actually could without having an ill feeling in my stomach that my mum was locking herself away all over again, I took in a deep breath when I saw that her door was open. I actually started getting used to seeing it shut so I was a bit surprised.

Then I went downstairs to get myself some breakfast. As I got closer to the kitchen I could hear the sound of glass dishes hitting together, causing that piercing sound that bothered me.

I turned the corner wall and saw my mum doing some of the washing that I had left out last night. After hanging up on Liam I decided to have a very late night snack. I didn't do my own washing because I didn't want to wake my mum in case she was sleeping. I hoped that she was at least getting some rest. I had no idea what was going on in her mind or her heart since telling my dad off to leave.

He still hadn't returned since then. I didn't have a clue where he possibly could be. I actually thought he'd return and force his stay here with us. Maybe he was a bit afraid to come home or maybe he didn't even care to come back. I didn't want him back and I didn't think my mum did either. We're much better off without him. At least, I really want to believe that we can be. 

Her hair went across her shoulders as she turned her head to look at me, eyes looking tired from a lack of proper care. I wasn't close enough to see if she had also been crying.

I stared back at her, not knowing what to say. I didn't want to say the wrong thing or say something about the situation we were now in just in case that made her sad.

"Good morning, Louis." She told me, offering me a small smile.

"Morning, mum." I repeated when I walked into the kitchen more. I sat myself down at the table, not really in the mood to eat breakfast. I looked down at my hands and picked at my fingernails.

My mum turned off the water that ran from the sink faucet. Then she picked up a decorative towel to dry her hands off with. "I heard you talking last night. Who were you chatting with?" She causally asked me as she walked over to the stove where a kettle had finished boiling water so she could have a tea. Having a tea often relaxed her.

I couldn't help but freeze up a bit, fearing if she heard what I was saying. Was I allowed to talk about what's been going on in our life with anyone outside of it?

I swallowed, nodding my head to let her know that she was correct.

"Um," I cleared my throat, which was a bit dry from sleep. "It was just Liam. The tournament started up so I told him to call me to see how he was doing."

She made a noise of understanding in her throat, not fully letting her reaction out through her closed lips. Then she reached over to me and I felt the heat from her hand that was wrapped around her mug, wrapping that hand around my wrist and rubbing my skin in her caring nature.

"You miss it, don't you?" She asked me with an apologetic sigh. There wasn't a reason for her to be because it was my fault that I was no longer able to be on the team.

I nodded, licking over my lips to try and stop myself from sounding too upset about the sport that I dearly missed and lost. 

"I can't remember a time when you were younger that you didn't want to bring a ball with you wherever we've gone out to." Her smile this time was light at the memories of me when I was her happy little boy. I wondered how often she thought about him and how much she missed him.

"Yeah, I was mental about it." I tried to joke with her. I glanced back down again. "Anyway, I get to live this weekend through Liam so I'll know how better off the team is without me."