Chapter 12 - Was That A KNIFE?

Dedication to Choosy Pixs (yes I've jumped a few today). A gigantic thank you for all your support. You have been so encouraging, especially when I've been feeling down about what I've written. Thank you also for you help with this :D

Also my apologies for this update being so short. I had a lot more to finish off this chapter but life has been a little crazy lately and I'm operating on minimal sleep.

I'll try harder next week! I promise!!

I paused for a moment, taking in her smug grin.

"Who should I say is here?" I enquired, as I slowly lifted the phone receiver.

She settled onto the edge of my desk, openingly looking into the drawer I had been searching through. "Tell him it's Candi."

This was Candi? The one who was going to take Jacqueline and Zane for the first leg? She wasn't quite what I had pictured.

I punched in Kota's number and listened to the phone ring.

"Sang?"

"I've got Candi here to see you." I glanced up at Candi to see her studying her nails with a small frown.

"Tell her I won't be long. Could you come down to my office Sang?"

"No problem, I'll be there shortly." What could he want me down there for?

I set the phone back into the receiver and gave Candi a smile, "He'll be out shortly. If you could excuse me."

I shut the drawer and tidied my desk quickly before heading down to Kota's office. Unsure of leaving Candi hovering over my desk but knowing that she was obviously trusted.

I tapped lightly at Kota's door before slipping in. He straightened from the desk and rounded it quickly.

"What can I help with?" I asked tentatively, slowly backing up as he didn't slow his approach.

"She won't wait long," he muttered as he pulled me into his arms, spinning around and placing me onto his desk. I looked up at him startled. What was he doing?

My legs had fallen slightly open and he stepped between them, running his right hand down from my hip to my knee, raising it slightly and pulling it over his hip before leaning forward and nuzzling my neck.

My breath left me with a rush as I stared at the roof. I was fairly sure I was in an extremely inappropriate position with my boss.

I felt his lips graze up my neck nearly sending my eyes rolling back in my head. I felt my dress gradually slide up my thighs. A part of me had put together the obvious pieces of the puzzle. Candi's man eating smile as she asked for Kota, Kota's muttered words before pulling me close.

Sure enough, the door clicked open revealing Candi standing there.

"Don't let me interrupt or anything. Carry on." She drawled as she cleaned her nails with... WAS THAT A KNIFE!?

I pushed myself upright but only succeeded in pushing myself flush with Kota. He immediately wrapped his arm around me, keeping me steady as I fought to push myself off the desk while keeping my eyes firmly on the knife in her hands. What was she doing?

"What?" she shrugged, "Girl's got to catch up on her nail care when she can."

"We'll be out in a moment Candi, please wait in reception." Kota said dismissively, waiting for the door to shut before turning back to me.

He raked his eyes over my face, his eyes glittering behind the black frames, before leaning close and pressing his lips softly to my forehead.

He stepped back and helped me wiggle off the desk, my cheeks aflame. I got that he wanted Candi to see him obviously occupied with me but I hadn't bargained on my body's response. It liked being in his arms. It liked being held close while his lips grazed my neck.

Shaking off my Kota fog I headed towards the door. I'd have to think on this later. I didn't want to know where a on-the-desk-neck-kiss rated on the levels of kissing. I wasn't even sure if I dared mention it to Anon. It was just for show.

Making my way to reception I quickly grabbed the sticky-tape for Jacqueline and followed Candi and Kota to the safe room.

Kota and Candi both seemed relaxed and unconcerned about the scene earlier. I wish I could say the same.

Passing the sticky-tape to Jacqueline I headed back to my desk to get some work done.

Finishing an e-mail I heard the footsteps of Candi walking to reception.

I glanced up giving her a small smile before returning to my work, hoping she would read my non-verbal cues.

She was gorgeous. Everything a guy could ever want. She was confident and could obviously take care of herself. Her life didn't look like a swirling mess of problems.

She stopped beside my desk, leaning her back against the wall. She rested her head against the wall closing her eyes. Snagging something out of her pocket she slipped it into her mouth.

"So... you and Kota huh?"

I gave her a non-committal nod and "Mmm..." hoping she'd stop the questions.

"D*mn. I'll scratch him off the list. It's just those eyes behind those glasses. Sexy geek in a business shirt. All that intelligence and focus." She sighed, "They're hard to find you know?"

I paused in my typing and raised my head. She looked unconcerned as she popped a massive pink bubble of gum.

She raised a brow at me obviously wanting a response.

"Yes... he is rather...attractive." I ventured before darting my eyes around the reception hoping no one in the control room was listening to me.

She straightened from the wall, "How long have you been working here?" she asked abruptly.

"A few weeks," I responded vaguely. "I love it here."

She nodded her head before wandering around the reception studying random objects. The remaining lamp appeared very interesting to her.

"You're much better than that she-b*tch from hell who was hanging around a while ago. If North hadn't gotten rid of her I might have taken matters into my own hand. That slime shouldn't be here."

I could only assume she was talking about the receptionist Luke had mentioned in passing when we first met. A Jane or Jade person.

Candi froze and turned slowly, narrowing her eyes at me. "You make sure you don't mess with Kota and you'll be okay."

I sat up straighter in the chair indignant at what she was inferring.

"I would never deliberately do anything that could hurt Kota." Not my first friend.

She studied my with the same intensity she had the lamp beside her, blowing another bubble.

"We'll see," she drawled, looking at her watch. "Time for me to get this show on the road. I'll catch you later Sang."

She wandered back down the hallway to the safe room, leaving only the faint scent of strawberry bubblegum.