Chapter 13 - Getting a little bit Closer

Dedication to BambiBoo789. Your comments were so encouraging. It was comments like yours that made me brave enough to own up to my story. (And the fact that Anon probably would have dragged me out by my hair).

I am so sorry this is late today! I had forgotten to set my alarm on my new phone for update time! Fixed :)

I saw Jacqueline and Zane off. Zane was looking slightly disgruntled to not be in the drivers seat as Candi sedately left.

I watched the SUV leave the underground carpark and turn down the street. I don't know if I'll ever see Jacqueline again, chances are, if she ever came back here I wouldn't be here again. But the memory of her surprising strength would stay with me. I could only hope she found a place which felt safe and like home to her.

Kota's arm landed heavy against my shoulders. He had been subtly touching me whenever he could all afternoon. I had thought it would finish when Candi left but him pulling me close now proved my thoughts wrong.

"Let's get you home," he murmured into my hair.

I suppressed a shiver and pulled myself out of his arms. "Candi's gone now Kota," I said with a grin. I don't think I could take much more of his touches without melting into him wanting to never leave. I don't think that would be what he was wanting, a clingy limpet never to be removed.

He reached out and picked up my hand, looking down at it resting in his.

I looked down at our hands joined, mine looking so much smaller and softer than his. Just a glance at his hands or body showed there was so much more to Kota beyond his suits and glasses.

He tugged me closer and tipped my chin up with his fingers until my gaze met his.

I looked into his emerald green eyes, feeling myself getting slightly lost in their intentness.

"Sang, Candi doesn't bother me. Never has, never will. She likes to play games, I usually ignore her. Today I was selfish and used the opportunity to get closer to you."

My mouth formed an 'oh' shape as I thought about what he said. I thought it was all for Candi? If it wasn't, did that mean he wanted to touch me? The teenage girl denied all those years jumped up and down with glee while the realistic side of me was tucking those memories away before I put up a barrier. I couldn't have a relationship here for a myriad of reasons.

It would be something casual and simple for Kota but I'd never experienced anything before. I had no doubt my heart would be heavily involved so quickly I'd never be able to find my way out. He was my boss. You can't have a relationship with your boss. And if for some reason all those doubts and fears of mine were overcome and we somehow got into a relationship, who knew how long I'd have before he would find me and I'd have to leave. One thing I knew, these guys wouldn't let me run away. If any of them were any closer than than what they were now, I would be in trouble. I couldn't get closer to any of them.

"I ..ah.." I stopped. Was I reading this all wrong? Surely Kota wasn't actually referring to him wanting to be closer to me.

"Sang. Stop thinking." He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and ran the backs of his fingers down my cheek. "I would never normally go near anyone I had employeed, but I guarantee there will never be any blowback on your job Sang. I want to get to know you Sang, get closer to you."

I closed my mouth with a snap. He just went there. This couldn't happen. I shook my head, "Sorry Kota. I don't date."

An dark eyebrow shut up before an expression of curiosity passed over his face. "At all?" he queried.