Chapter 30 - The Birthday Wish

Lyz

I closed my eyes and felt like the floor was swirling before me. I don't know what's happening, and I can't believe what is happening. This can't be real.

Push him, Lyz. Push him.

My knees weakened and before they budge, I pushed Jack really hard and stepped back, expecting a couch or someone behind to catch me if ever I collapse. It was hard to find words to say as I lost my composure, and it seems like everybody except him felt like the same way as me. The back of my legs touched the leather couch behind and that felt like the support I needed. I found my strength and in a weak voice, asked.

"W-why did you do that?" That hardly came out of my mouth, but I have to keep strong even if that was really hard. I brought my eyes back to Jack who still looked confident and happy with what he did. "W-why... why did you kiss me?" I looked up to blow hard a breath coz it felt like my chest was gonna burst. When I looked back at him, he didn't look affected. "Why are you saying you're..." my fiancé... I wasn't able to say that. He shrugged his shoulder like what I was asking wasn't really important. The brat he is. He always is. He gets what he wants, he does whatever he willed even if he's not allowed to, he listens to no one and picks a fight with anyone. He's the unbeatable, untamable, unstoppable Jack. And it looks like his next mission is to go back to me and ask me to run away with him tonight. Coz if I am not hallucinating or my senses aren't deceiving me, according to him, I'm his fiancé.

His fiancé.

"Jack!" Suddenly, an angry Ashley stood in front of Jack and placed her hands on her waist. "Really? You have to ruin this party? My party!" She rubbed her gloved hand between her nose and her mouth. Then she turned to Dustin. "I'm sorry Dustin. Maybe it's best to leave this room and deal with this asshole later," she hugged Dustin's arm to pull him and lead him to the door, to go back to the party. I watched them as Dustin's parents tell Georgia and Uncle Eugene that they are going out too, following Ashley and Dustin who was barely showing any emotion. However, they had to stop when Jack interrupted them again the moment Ashley was reaching for the door knob.

"So Baby, that's the guy you were claiming to be your boyfriend huh?" The tone in Jack's voice was really annoying. I looked at him and found his sarcastic smile really irritating. I averted my eyes in snort, trying to keep his words from getting into me. He continued his mockery. "Your boyfriend had to escort your cousin because he was her childhood sweetheart? That was really sweet." He followed that with a chuckle.

"Shut up, Jack!" Ashley turned back and yelled at her brother. "Would you just leave? Or can't you be a little considerate to at least let us leave? My god! Why do you have to be this pain in the ass during my party?" She patted her forehead before leaning forward at the back of the couch behind me. "Jack, I've spent my whole life planning for this night, so for heaven's sake why do you have to ruin it?"

"Planned what? This party when Georgia and her good friend here were supposed to announce your engagement with Dustin?" Upon hearing Jack saying that, all our eyes focused on Georgia who was now holding a glass of whatever that is, and to Diana, who looked defensive beside her husband. Then I saw how surprised, or shocked, Dustin and Ashley were. They looked like they were being told that they were not their parents' child, that's how their reaction was like. I took in a small breath, trying to think that I wasn't the victim here, but Dustin and Ashley. I slowly collapsed on the couch and massaged my forehead while closing my eyes to calm my nerves. Jack went on again. "Oh, you didn't know? Sorry sister, I have to be the one to break that wonderful news to you..."

"Mum, that's not true, right?" Ashley leaned against the back of the couch where I was sitting on. "He is just making me mad, like he always does, right?" her voice was trembling, like she was about to cry. "Mum!"