Chapter Ten: Old Friends

Today is the day. We play our rivials UCLA.

The unfortunate and sad part is that my old pal and teammate, JC plays on the team.

Getting to the stadium after a slow day of classes and studying I am feeling very anxious. I have not talked to Renee all day. Usually we consistently text throughout the day but I have not heard much from her.

She went out with her friends last night so she is slowly recovering and I can't say I am not happy for that as she will not be able to come to tonights game.

I send her a message as I enter the locker room.

got to the stadium. putting my phone away. text you after.

I toss my phone in my bag and slip my shoes on to warm up.

A couple hours later we are headed out to the court for pregame official warm ups. I am currently trying to calm myself as I get ready to face the jerk who raped the girl I am seeing.

Seeing? Back up. Back up. I haven't even asked her to be exclusive.

"You good?" Alex asks me and walks beside me as we walk through the tunnel.

"Yeah." I nod.

She wraps her arm around my neck. "If you don't beat their ass. I will."

I laugh. "There is no beating anyones ass today." I point at her.

"Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Now come on. Let's kick ass the only way we can, on the court." She rolls her eyes.

We finally step out onto the court and our team jogs around the court and shoots layups for warm up. The first person I lock eyes with across the court is JC.

They are standing at the three point line crossing their arms glaring at me.

This is gonna be a long ass game.

I shake my head and try to lock in, but another thing distracts me. A blond head catches my eye. Renee.

No. No. No.

Why is she here?

We warm up for a bit and I am glad Renee is distracted both me playing and Bella making her laugh.

My heart breaks though when her eyes wander and glance at JC.

Fuck.

Her eyes well up with tears and she gets up to run from her seat.

I quickly toss my ball to a teammate and rush to her.

"Renee." I grab her shoulders. "It's okay. I'm here."

I help her walk into the tunnel we came out of. Once out of the eye of others, she falls into me and sobs rack her body.

"They won't hurt you ever again." I say into her hair. "I promise."

She slows her breath down and lifts her head from my shoulder.

"Did I ever tell you how I knew them?" She asks.

I shake my head.

"My boyfriend at the time was a huge theater kid as I was. He dragged me from party to party forcing me to socialize with people that had no character. Druggies who use drugs to cope with the pressure to broadway." She grabs my hands and looks down at our feet. "Y/N, that night wasn't the first night I had taken drugs. My boyfriend was one of those addicts and drug me down with him. If I didn't voluntary use them, he would find a way."

"Renee, I am so sorry you had to go through that."

I watch as she softly smiles and finally looks back up at me. "You have saved me, in more ways than just rape. After that night, I quit and called my family to help me go home. You saving me that night from JC made me realize that I was something more than just my boyfriend and broadway."

I tuck a spare hair from her face and lean down to capture her lips in mine. I pull back after a second. "You saved me too." I say against her lips then kiss her once again.

"Yo dude, you have to get out here-" Alex says and stops when she sees us making out. "Shit. Sorry."

I keep my arm around Renee. "I will be out in a second."

Alex nods and smiles at us then leaves.

I turn to Renee. "Are you okay?"

She nods and slides her hands around my back. "I'm gonna stay."

"It's okay if it's too much for you. You can leave." I reassure her.

She shakes her head and smiles. "I want to watch you kick their ass."

"Well then I will baby." I smirk.

------------------------------------------

A/N:

Short chapter again lol. Sorry for the slow updates. I have a lot going on and I try to write as much as possible. Game chapter next chapter though <3

i see renee again next week and im so hype!!!

Be safe y'all and don't forget today I am not thriving, I am surviving, but maybe tomorrow we'll be thriving...