20

June 13

LANE

I set the large cardboard box in my arms on the metal counter, the materials inside clinking together. Pulling open the top, I started to unpack the supplies that had just been delivered, setting them out onto the long metal surface, until the box was empty. Once finished, I broke it down, tossing it aside, and turned to start putting the items away.

It had been a slow day. A very, very slow day. We had only seen a few patients, and with the exception of one close encounter with a curious lion, circling the edge of the fence on the far side at back of the dorms, the day had been completely uneventful. I had spent the majority of my afternoon looking through my old images, trying to get inspiration for more I might be able to take on site. I needed something to do, something to occupy my mind. And so far, watching Rob and Erin flirt with each other from across the neighboring table was not something I found particularly stimulating.

They had taken to this little to and fro over the last several days. The occasional look, a touch here and there. It was obvious they were interested in each other, and currently just testing the waters. Neither seemed to be ready to be the one to make the first move, and I couldn't help but smirk at them.

At least Harry and I weren't the only ones reluctant to take that step. All it took for us was 4 months, and several thousand miles to admit how we felt.

Thankfully, a truck of supplies appeared at the gates, and I practically jumped at the chance to help unload, and put things away. I needed to move, to feel useful. And until there was something to actually take a photograph of, I may as well put myself to use in any way they needed. And for right now, there was a shit load of things that needed put away.

After the boxes had been sorted between the clinic, food, and random needs, I volunteered to help Sam sort through the clinic supplies. I was currently in the store room, unpacking, sorting, and spending much longer than it would have probably taken her to find where most of this stuff went. Granted, I hadn't spent much time in the store room, but it was a good learning experience. If I was going to be here for another five months, and continue to lend a hand on the medical side of things, I may as well familiarize myself with my surroundings a little better.

I enjoyed the work, finally having something to do. I needed to have something to keep my idle mind busy. Because if I didn't distract it with tasks, it automatically drifted to Harry.

I smirked as he yet again invaded my mind. Gathering up the rolls of gauze, I pulled out the red plastic bin from the color coded shelving system against the wall, and slipped them into their space.

Harry had been even more invasive in my thoughts over the last few days than he usually was. And every time I thought of him, of his face, his voice, that fucking dimpled smirk, I grinned like a damn schoolgirl.

He loved me. He actually loved me. And what's more, he said it.

I knew after reading his email that we had reached a tipping point. We had been climbing this particular hill for a while, and now that we had reached the top, it had appeared that he was ready to choose which side he wanted to go down. Thankfully, he had chosen the same side as I had. And even more, he had done what I was still too afraid to do.

I had been so damn nervous when I called him, I had dialed his number three times, each time hanging up before pressing the last number, before finally getting the nerve to actually complete the call. I knew this was it, one way or another, and the thought scared me. His email made it sound like he wanted more, like he wanted me, but I was still frightened. I had never felt this way about a guy before, and the entire concept terrified me. The fact that we were so far apart, literally a world away from each other, made this all so much harder.